Towing & Hauling

Hank00ks stink for large, heavy loads.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Hank00ks stink for large, heavy loads.

I needed lots of top soil, and I loaded it up to about 3,200 lbs... and I was doing like 65 mph down the road, and my tires felt wobbly, especially in the rear... Those sidewalls STINK on those Hankooks... but the traction is alright.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait - you have a V6 F150 and you are putting 3,200 lbs of soil in the bed? Then driving 65 mph??

I think you have bigger problems than your tires.

BTW, why don't you post the model, size, rating (P rated?) and max weight rating of your tires. It's right there on the sidewall.

I am guessing you substiantally exceeded the tires max load, as well as the GVWR of your truck. Gotta hate it when Hankook makes you do things that the tire was never designed for. Damn the Hankook!

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 04-16-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Use your trailer for the topsoil.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm not sure, but they are the wrong tires from the factory to begin with... lol

I'll post the specs... but it was kind of funny the feeling going down the road. The truck had no problem with the load, except for the tires behind being really squishy.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I'll bet the front tires were not too squishy, since they were probably barely touching the ground, lol. I hope you at least inflated the rears to the max allowable pressure before you put the load in.

FWIW, I overloaded an '84 Nissan King Cab 4 banger pickup once with topsoil. I'm sure it was nowhere near 3,200 lbs, though; probably 2,000 - 2,200 lbs in the bed. It nowhere near filled the bed, but it was still way overloaded.

It was a damn stupid thing to do and it started getting very unstable at about 60 mph. I slowed it way down, but had to cross a railroad track on a 55 mph speed limit road - I crossed the track about 45 mph and nearly lost control. Never again for me. I pay much closer attention to max load ratings now, especially if highway speeds are involved.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I needed lots of top soil, and I loaded it up to about 3,200 lbs... and I was doing like 65 mph down the road, and my tires felt wobbly, especially in the rear... Those sidewalls STINK on those Hankooks... but the traction is alright.

Hey, I hear Darwin is looking for you. He'll probably catch up with you soon enough.

How are they the wrong tires from the factory? The load ratings of the tires were spec'd out to match that of the rest of the chasis. I guess Ford and Hankook couldn't quite compensate for 3,200lbs of stupid.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Those Hankooks are rated for 2250 lbs a wheel at 35 psi.

So, if I did my math right I had about 2450 lbs on each of them. Not bad, I had them at 37 psi to handle the load a little better.

I do notice after I hauled that load, my truck is getting an impressive 23.3 mpg. I cleaned out the engine pretty good. I actually made that truck work for once in its life.

The guy at the place where I was getting the topsoil was like... that's one tough truck.

Those shocks are also stupid. I need helper bags like asap.

It was fun to drive around like that... I just took it easy after I felt my rear end going crazy. It seriously felt like when I moved the front, it took like 3 seconds to move the rear. It was funny as heck.

Just glad I don't do this everyday.

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 AM
P series car tires are in no way designed to be overloaded.
Your 35PSI rating confirmed the lack of load potential.
So not only was the tire overloaded but over pressurized as well.

It's amazing the tire didn't fail on you....or pop out a valve stem.

LT series tires have a 20% overload factor built into them to carry a capacity heavier than that printed on the tire....the P series do not.

Bad news...any passenger tire that overloaded will act the same way no matter who made it.

Remember the Ford/Firestone fiasco?
That was P series tires on Explorer's and not even exceeding the weight rating, but close enough to maximum that they were failing.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 04-17-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:36 AM

That's for your input guys.

I loaded it up about 8 more times... I had one load that was like 3,500 lbs at least... it filled up the bed and it was heaping.

I then dropped the loads down to about 2,500 lbs...

The point at which the tire was on the ground, actually made my tires look like low profile tires, they were squished that much.

You guys are right, I need a LT tire... I was told by my dealer that there was supposed to be load rating 'E' rated tires on there, but somehow I ended up with not only the wrong load rated tires, but as well as size and of course brand. But there is a whole nother thead about it.

Even with that heaping load, I was still not on the bump stops.

I had like 3 inches before I would've been on the stops.

I got plenty of pictures, but I'm not going to post them now, because I am like wicked tired.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Ya, Hankooks blow. You got lucky they actually didn't blow. My painter had these on his 04 and showed me how they were a) too narrow and b) flimsey as all hell, p-rated.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Here are some pix:

Old 04-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Isn't the payload rating on the reg cab long beds like 3000-something? To get that rating, wouldn't they have to use tires that can handle it? I guess your truck really did come with the wrong tires on it, if they said you could haul that much on P-tires-- can you say "lawsuit"?

Old 04-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MOford21
Isn't the payload rating on the reg cab long beds like 3000-something? To get that rating, wouldn't they have to use tires that can handle it? I guess your truck really did come with the wrong tires on it, if they said you could haul that much on P-tires-- can you say "lawsuit"?
I got that work truck package as stated on the window sticker.

I have the right tire that the truck takes written down at home, I do know it is E rated and is a higher pressure than regular LT even. Both Ford and the dealer acknowledged this. I think the fronts need to be pressurized to 60 psi and the rear 50 psi. Not sure off hand. It says it on the corrected placard on the vehicle.

But these tires are not designed for it... but the truck is.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I got that work truck package as stated on the window sticker.

I have the right tire that the truck takes written down at home, I do know it is E rated and is a higher pressure than regular LT even. Both Ford and the dealer acknowledged this. I think the fronts need to be pressurized to 60 psi and the rear 50 psi. Not sure off hand. It says it on the corrected placard on the vehicle.

But these tires are not designed for it... but the truck is.
Goes to show that Ford is the heaviest, toughest built truck on the road

You were 3 inches from the stops even with that much weight? That's awesome..get some beefy tires on there and see just how much it can handle sometime.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MOford21
Goes to show that Ford is the heaviest, toughest built truck on the road

You were 3 inches from the stops even with that much weight? That's awesome..get some beefy tires on there and see just how much it can handle sometime.
Oh, I know... this truck is awesome.

The truck itself handled the load fine, it was just those stupid tires. Like I said earlier.

Come to think of it, I have my toolbox filled with 800 lbs of tools, plus the 3,500 lbs of soil. That's 4,300 lbs of weight total, plus me and my junk in the cab... Bringing it to 4,500 lbs. I keep forgetting about that damn toolbox.

That's even higher than a F-250.

Amazing.

I guess that I was double-lucking myself on those Hankooks.

Quick Reply: Hank00ks stink for large, heavy loads.