Towing & Hauling

Prodigy vs. P3

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prodigy vs. P3

So the wife and I bought a 23ft pop out travel trailer since our boys love to go camping and so do we. It's about 3800lbs dry weight and I'm guessing around 4800 loaded. I called 2 local RV shops and the unit they install 90-95% of the time is the Tekonsha Envoy. They wanted $120 to install that unit, which is kind of ridiculous since the unit only costs $55 and since I already have the tow package it should be easy to hook up. So I decided I'm going to buy a controller online and install myself. I see that a lot of people recommend the Prodigy and currently that is the one I'm thinking about getting. But I also hear a lot of good recommendations about the P3, and with it being only $20-$30 more than the Prodigy, the P3 is looking more and more tempting. What are your opinions?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Either the Tekonosha or P3 are going to be a great brake controller for you. Hook it up yourself. There is like 6 wires to hook together (assuming you have the correct harness for you truck), and then it just plugs in to the truck.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do yourself a favor and order it online. I got mine at: http://www.brakecontroller.com/?gcli...FQpZMAod1W3N6g

If your truck came with the tow package factory than all you have to do is choose your plug and play harness when ordering. It comes free with the harness for your truck. It's the easiest install I've ever done. I bought the prodigy, and love it.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Did the 2002 f150 with towing package come with a brake box adapter harness? My 06 FX4 came with the towing package and has the harness in the glove box. Most boxes you buy online come with an easy to install plug and play system.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes mine did come with the generic one, but the one that they give you from that dealer is already pre-made to go from whatever brake controller you buy to your specific vehicle. All you have to do is just plug it in.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
You don't want the Envoy for sure. I have the Prodigy and have used it for several years and like it quite a bit. I'm now looking to step up to a 36' gooseneck trailer vs my 18' flat deck and have kicked around the idea of upgrading to the P3, though there isn't any big gains to doing so. With the price as close as it is I would suggest the P3, but the older Prodigy will make you just as happy. FYI, you can get the Prodigy for $90 or less on the net. I gave $93 for mine shipped 4 years ago. The P3 I haven't seen for under $150 yet.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM
If you want a good brake controller and don't care about anything more than just seeing a digital readout then get the primus. the primus is good for 1-3 axles and it is anice small compact unit. It's made by tekonsha and is a cheaper brake control than the prodigy or p3. Just my .02 cents though

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a P3 in my truck, and it is mechanically no different from the Prodigy other than its ability to control electric over hydraulic brakes. The major differences are the display and the price. Mine was $135 shipped to my door with the harness for my truck. It was on sale.

I google'd p3 controller and then hit shopping.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I like the Prodigy but believe that the P3 is oversold.
The main things you get with a P3 over a Prodigy is the ability to change color on the display to match the tow vehicle, slightly better error messages instead of error codes and the ability to run electric over hydraulic brakes which is relatively uncommon unless you are going big.

The Primus brakes equally as well as the Prodigy with the exception of error codes going to the Prodigy and the ability to mount it more vertical.

For ability and ease of use as well as diagnostics the Prodigy is hard to beat.
On our tow vehicles that have the P3's we have never used any functions that the Prodigy wouldn't do too.

Quick Reply: Prodigy vs. P3