Towing & Hauling

Final decisions before trailer purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final decisions before trailer purchase

Ok, getting down to finalizing all the options on our special order cargo/atv/camping trailer.

Tow vehicle: 2000 Expy 4wd, 5.4l, 3.55 gears, factory tow pkg, 265/70R16 LRC Michelins.
My owners manual says 13,000 lb max GCWR. Max trailer weight 7400 lbs. Maximum frontal area of trailer not to exceed 60 square feet.

We are looking at a Cargo Mate Blazer 102"x 24 (20' box + 4' sloped V-nose)
Tandem straight axles (need a bit of lift as we go down rough roads)
Brakes on both axles

Load:
Trailer weight is 2900 lbs
1800lbs of ATVs + appx 500 lbs of gear
4 people in Expy. 750lbs.

2 main questions

24' V nose or 20' flat cargo front? The V adds about 300 lbs but I will cut down some wind resistance. Fuel economy improvement is not a concern. Looking for every advantage to maintain as much power as possible. Is the V going to help more than the 300 lb drop in weight without the v?

Is 24' V nose too much trailer for the Expy? I had a 16' deckover cargo mate which I sold. Weighed about the same amount but it sat up so high that I had huge wind resistance. On the flats towing was easy and I could easily stay with the flow of traffic. In the mountains is where I suffered. If I could not get a run at the hill I would get down to 40mph.

I am attaching a link of my old deckover trailer hitched to my expy.

Any input is appreciated

Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 AM
This is what I am looking at to give you an idea. This happens to be a 24'. Mine would be a 20+4'v.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In your case, the V-nose may not be as critical as if you had a PU, although it will definitely help some. As far as towing, you are very close, if not a little over, the limit of the hitch without a WD hitch. Might want to go with one as it will help with towing, especially with tongue weight and sway control.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I was going to go WD hitch, air bags, etc. as necessary. I think thats my primary concern with the V nose is that it shifts more weight up on the tongue. The dealer says they take that into account when they build the trailer by placing the axles in a location so no more than 10% of the trailer weight is hitch weight.

I guess I can buy off on that except! I am going to end up loading that V area with gear. I am thinking my hitch weight will be exceeded.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would definitely benefit with a WD hitch, whether you exceed the non-WD hitch weight or not. Especially on sway control. On a windy day and those slab sides, it will help.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Go with the equalizer wd setup with built in sway control. I like it because you don't have to worry about pulling the pin if you need to back up like you have to do with a friction sway control.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I've never pulled a V-nose but everyone I've ever talked to that has one loves them. It only makes sense that they will have to help.

I can tell you from pulling my flat front 24ft enclosed that it all 100% wind resistance for me. I have no change in fuel economy pulling the trailer empty or loaded with 3500lbs of stuff. I can't really tell a difference in pulling power loaded or unloaded either at speed.

So, my recommendation would be get the V nose and a good weight dist hitch with sway control. I recommend Equalizer.

I pulled my trailer home yesterday without the Equalizer attached and then back to the lot with it attached. The difference was markable. Think tail walking the dog w/o it attached. A little scary to be honest.

Quick Reply: Final decisions before trailer purchase