Towing & Hauling

Trailer questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got a trailer, needs a little work but is a good trailer, for $100 I cant complain. It has some surface rust all over it. There are some parts you can see the paint and some that are rusted. Nothing that has eaten all the way through any of the metal. I dont really wanna sand it or sand blast it if I can get around it. I believe there are coatings that stop rust prior to painting, has anyone tried these? I dont want to waste money on buying them if they dont work. Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Here is my plan and anyone feel free to make suggestions.
It needs tires, so I will buy new ones. It needs lights as the old ones are broken, I plan to get a lighting kit and rewire it. I know TN doesnt require a tag, but I would like to get one. I am not sure if there is a ID number on this thing. I will check tomorrow. If I tag it, what do I need to do? I plan to coat it with some rustoleom (spelling??) or something similar and paint the railing and frame. I want to coat the bottom with something that wont be slippery (metal flooring) like a rhino liner or something for truck beds you can get at parts stores.

So, any thoughts?

Old 04-20-2008, 12:19 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about this product:
http://www.rustbullet.com/?source=ad...FQY_agodGDHU3g

I can't really comment on the laws in your area, so that is best left to someone local (to you). In CA I have a VIN # on my trailers, and they each have a permanent trailer plate.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you get tires, make sure you get trailer tires and not car or LT tires.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Also, I don't know about the size of the trailer, but I am visioning a small kit trailer type? If so definately get 12" tires instead of 8" tires, otherwise the bearings have a tendency to burn up a lot faster. Also make sure that the floor is good and not rotted out, I think rustoleum is a good product also, as my father used to sell trailers. Good luck on the rebuild!

Quick Reply: Trailer questions