Towing & Hauling

D vs E for Towing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
D vs E for Towing??

OK, I know this has probably been done but I wanted to check on two particular tires to see if anyones using them by chance.

So it's tire time and I was shopping for an E because of the trailer. Right now I'm 50/50 torn between the Toyo M/T and the Mickey Thompson ATZ. But, the Toyo is an E and the ATZ is a D in my size (305/70 16). I have D's on my truck now, so I know what that would feel like and I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure my load wouldn't be outside the rating of any D tire.

In this case would you go with the one you liked better or would you go for the E (Toyo)?? Would I actually really feel the difference in towing with an E, since I've never towed with them??

Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "D" should do more than needed anyways where the "E" would be a bit overkill. I think the "d" would be good past the capabilities of your rig anyways.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm considering switching out the stock 20" Pirelli's with the dealer on my KR when it comes in. I will tow a bit in the summer, too. What load rating should I opt for? I'm thinking BFG A/T KO's - I need RWL tires... not blackwalls - otherwise I'd opt for Toyo or Nitto, too.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
If D's will hold your maximum load, get D's. E's will ride pretty bad with no load.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I just put BFG All Terrain AT KO's on my truck Wednesday. And they are load range E tires and they ride pretty darn nice. The roads around here have pot holes big enough to hide a Prius in so I am rather impressed with the tires so far.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I have Es on my truck and have no complaints. If you do any towing at all you will want the higher load range tire. Its not such an issue with overloading as it is with the fact that the tire itself has more stability than a D. Its something you will notice the first time you pull with a D range tire through a windy area and you feel like your all over the road.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by NateDizzy
I have Es on my truck and have no complaints. If you do any towing at all you will want the higher load range tire. Its not such an issue with overloading as it is with the fact that the tire itself has more stability than a D. Its something you will notice the first time you pull with a D range tire through a windy area and you feel like your all over the road.
That's where I was going with all this. I'm shopping for mud / agressive tires so obviously ride quality is not my top concern. I agree a D is within my range of what I actually "need", but was more concerned if the E would make a noticeable difference anyways.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I had E rated tires on my '99 and I loved them. I have passenger tires on my '07, and I hate them.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
An e-rated tire is overkill on any 1/2 ton truck. They ride rough. I would think a "D" would be all anyone would ever need. Just my .02
Good luck with what you choose.
Rich

Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by hikerrich
An e-rated tire is overkill on any 1/2 ton truck. They ride rough. I would think a "D" would be all anyone would ever need. Just my .02
Good luck with what you choose.
Rich
What does "overkill" really mean?
i know anything i put on my daily f-150 or my rockcrawler i overbuild. Pansies settle for "adequate"!

The OP wants aggressive, good looking tires, You sometimes give up a bit of low speed comfort when you are after better aestetics/performance. The only time i can ever tell i am running an MT is going under 5 mph and you can feel the lugs slightly. I really like my Toyos, they are a great tire i would say.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by NateDizzy
What does "overkill" really mean?
i know anything i put on my daily f-150 or my rockcrawler i overbuild. Pansies settle for "adequate"!

The OP wants aggressive, good looking tires, You sometimes give up a bit of low speed comfort when you are after better aestetics/performance. The only time i can ever tell i am running an MT is going under 5 mph and you can feel the lugs slightly. I really like my Toyos, they are a great tire i would say.
There's nothing wrong with "OverKill".

Go with the tires that make you feel comfortable.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 AM
All the debate over ride quality is futile anyways. I've never ever in my life purchased a "practical" tire, and ride is usually at the bottom of my requirements. This may all be a moot point anyways since the Toyo (the one I'm leaning towards) in my size only comes in an E anyways....but dang those MT's look good.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:35 AM
My stock tires were "d" and my tires now are "e" and yes there is a bit of difference, not enough to care about. The 285's I got only came "e" so I figured ok whatever, I wasn't even thinking about that, just sizing.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
All the debate over ride quality is futile anyways. I've never ever in my life purchased a "practical" tire, and ride is usually at the bottom of my requirements. This may all be a moot point anyways since the Toyo (the one I'm leaning towards) in my size only comes in an E anyways....but dang those MT's look good.
Buy what makes you happy and meets the criteria that you need. You are going to get so many opinions on this site that it isnt funny. Everyone thought I was nuts for spending what I did for tires last week and in the end I am happy with the what I have and the improved looks and performace of the truck and tires.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
"Adequate" means the tire should do anything a 1/2 ton is rated for and then some. Builld anything you want, however you want. It's your money. I can give my opinion and care less what you, Nate, or anyone else thinks.
I know that e-rated tires ride rough. We've had many sets on 3/4 and 1-ton trucks over the years. Run them at the intended pressure and see how good the ride is. Some don't care, that's their right. I think having more than you need can be a good thing; however, way more than will ever be needed is a waste of money and the ride quality of your truck.

Quick Reply: D vs E for Towing??