Towing & Hauling

1986 pull a 26ft ball hitch travel Trailer ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 pull a 26ft ball hitch travel Trailer ?

I have an old extended cab f150 with the fuel injected 302 . I do not want to buy a new truck just to pull a camper we are looking at. It has and automatic transmission with overdrive. I was just wondering if this old truck is capable of pulling this 26ft travel trailer ? The trailer is a 00' American Star XLT26FL by Newmar and its weight is right at 5500# .
We will not be doing any long distance traveling,just to local campgrounds 50 miles or less each way and also we live in Iowa so we will not be pulling it through the mountains.
Thanks so Much for your time,
A newbie,
Raz

Old 04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
It can do it, that's probably around the max. I'd be a bit worried about that AOD transmission though. Definitely do not tow in overdrive. Do not expect much get up and go, a 302 is not a very torquey engine. You will need a class 3 hitch with weight distribution bars.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 AM
When I bought the truck it already had a class III Reese hitch receiver on it. The Hitch ,stabilizer bars and sway bars come with the trailer.
Only thing I need is to hook up an electronic brake control, is this hard and where is the best place or best ones to get ?
The only thing I have camped in before is a pop up so I haven't had to worry about brakes.
Thanks,
Raz

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by RazBarlow
.....Only thing I need is to hook up an electronic brake control, is this hard and where is the best place or best ones to get ?
You should have at least a 4-pin trailer plug if someone already installed a class III reciever.

If they didn't have trailer brake controller installed you will need to install one from scratch. You will also possibly need to run a charge line for your batteries as well as these to are not run from the factory.

If wiring scares you get it done professionally at any trailer repair center. It's really quite simple if you follow the dirrections for the brake controller. Remember to fuse or use a circuit breaker for both the charge and brake controller. The hardest part will be finding the brake pedal switched wire and tapping into it to activate the trailer brakes.

As always highly recommend as many do the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. The less you tow the better the brake controller you should have.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Acually it is the round connector if that means anything,like I said, I am not familiar with the brake bit but I have wired up many things and I am a forklift mechanic and also own a motorcycle/atv business.So, I am mechanically inclined just not ever had a travel trailer besides the pop up.
Where is the best place to get the contoller you mentioned and why is it the best ?
Thanks,
Raz

Old 04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Go to Etrailer.com and get a prodogy controler.
How many pins on your plug?
Your new trailer likey has a large round plug with 7 flat lugs.

You might have a harnes under the dash if the truck was OEM'd with a package but in 88 its not likley. Etrailer has goo video to watch walks you right through it.

Quick Reply: 1986 pull a 26ft ball hitch travel Trailer ?