Towing & Hauling

Brake Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Controllers

I know this has been discussed many times before and I did a search but really couldn't find what I needed for answers.
I just bought a pull behind and I am going to pull it with an old 1986 F150 with a fuel injected 302.
I need to know what type of brake controller you guys recommend. I asked a co worker and he said "Do not get one with a pendulum in it, when you go up and down hills or hit bumps your brakes will come on" . I guess how do you fell about this ?
I have seen where some websites are saying proportional ones use this method. I also see that the Tekonsha Prodigy is proportional and you guys recommend it. Does it have an actual pendulum ?
I guess I am confused the more I read.
Also, is it hard to hook these up and how do I find out if my pickup was setup with a tow package harness from the factory ?
Thanks So Much for your time,
Raz

Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 AM
True pendulum controllers can be effected by bumps or grade but they are still activated by the depression of the brake pedal. So just driving up/down steep grades or over bumps will not turn on your trailer brakes.

Controllers like the Prodigy have an inertia sensor which is kind of like a solid state version of a pendulum. These are not effected by grades but can be effeted by rough bumps.

Timer based controllers are not effeted by anything other than elapsed time, but can be unsafe in emergency conditions where the brakes need to be applied faster than you have set the controller.

Point is that controllers like the Prodigy give a reliable for the most part undisturbed controlled braking with the capability of mimmicking your driving so that if you need to make an emergency stop your trailer will do the same.

If you have to level your brake controller or have a level wheel to adjust you have a pendulum in the brake controller.

Personally I see the resistor fail in pendulum type controllers fail more frequently than any other and start spiking causing the barkes to momentarily(sp?) lock upon brake activation....also that red light-green light deal is difficult for most newbies to adjust... heck even for experienced haulers it is a pain in the behind.

As far as your 1986 pick-up, they were not factory wired.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 AM
So the Tekonsha PRODIGY is the most state of the art you are going to get all around, am I assuming correctly ? All I need is something easy to use,reliable as can be,do not need other bells and whistles that I won't use anyway.
Thanks,
Raz

Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I use a Prodigy to tow my 28' trailer, its a great controller and I've had no problems with it. Set it and forget it.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no reason not to get a Prodigy. It's pretty cheap (under $100) and easy to set up and use. Don't save $20 for more hassle.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Is the Tekonsha PRODIGY going to work on my old truck ?
Raz

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
I have the Tekonsha P3 and have been happy with its performance. Not sure if it works on your truck though.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by RazBarlow
Is the Tekonsha PRODIGY going to work on my old truck ?
Raz
Any and all brake controllers CAN work on your truck.
Trailer brake controller wiring is all the same.
Red Wire-Brake light switch feed
White Wire- Ground
Black Wire- 12v positive
Blue Wire- Brake controller output to trailer

The problem is most trucks wiring do not match colors for the brake controllers.

A 1986 truck will needed to be wired from scratch for the brake controller and the aux charge line. It may also need a lighting kit for markers and turn/brake lights that can plug right into the factory wiring.

Quick Reply: Brake Controllers