Towing & Hauling

Trailer setup ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer setup ?

OK,
I got the pull behind tonight and it has a reese hitch like this http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WDS~63970.htm also with the distribution bars and sway control .
I am wondering how I am suppose to setup the height of the ball , since it is adjustable. I thought the distribution bars were suppose to level out the rearend of the truck.
Do I setup the camper to the level and measure from the ground to the top of the ball coupler and then measure from the ground up to the top of the ball on the truck and make sure they are the same height without them hooked up ? Hope this is as clear as mud :-)
All this brake control stuff and distribution is above my head.
Thanks for your time,
Raz

Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should be in manual for equalizer hitch if i remember correctly measure truck height no measure trailer hitch height set equalizer hitch as close as possible so the trailer will be riding level. When you hook up trailer to truck it will sag down use equalizer bars to bring truck level again hope this makes sense and helps

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, you have it right for those initial settings to know where to bolt your hitch head at. Like kburchak said, once you set the trailer on the hitch, it'll sag and the WD bars will bring you back to level for the most part. You will also want to make sure you have a good amount of tilt to the head (the hitch head needs to tilt 'down' a noticeable amount.. There should be adjustment 'washers' to make this happen).

Now, here is the trick to setting the bars.... Once you hitch up, latch the coupler and then you now have to crank up on the tongue jack until you are actually lifting up the rear of the truck so that there is a noticeable 'rake' to the rig. Now you attach your WD bars to the head and find the last link on the chain that fits into the stirrup hook and then using a cheater bar, ****** it into it's locking position. Use the same number of links that will be under tension on the other side and then lower the tongue jack. NOTE, you should not have any less then 5 chain links under tension.. If you do, then you have to tilt your hitch head more..

If all is correct, then your rig should be level. If the trailer is slightly 'nose down', then that's ok, but you don't want the trailer to be 'nose high' in any circumstance.

If any of this is out of wack, then you will have to adjust your hitch head angle or the hitch head height or you have to crank more on the tongue jack to set that initial chain link. Take it out for a test run and see what you think....

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 04-30-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer setup ?