Towing & Hauling

Anyone towing wakeboard boats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone towing wakeboard boats?

Hey guys

I just picked up a 2002 F150 FX4 and debating on installing a brake controller or not. I'm mainly going to be just towing a wakeboard boat (96 Sanger v210 with dual axle trailer and surge brakes) so i'm not sure i really need one right now since i've got the surge brakes on the trailer. I believe i have the towing package but noticed that the plug is the circular plug and its located inside of the box (is this factory). They guy i purchased the truck off has an adapter that goes from the circular plug to the flat 4 connector and just runs the wires down in between the tailgate. What do you guys think?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Not sure about "Surgebrakes" but that adapter will work. I got one for my truck when I haul my small trailer around. It's almost a "musthave" if you've got a tow package.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
boat trailer do not normally have electric brakes because the water will mess them up. If it has surge brakes you do not need electric brakes. A 21 foot boat isn't that heavy anyway.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by JimBeam
boat trailer do not normally have electric brakes because the water will mess them up. If it has surge brakes you do not need electric brakes. A 21 foot boat isn't that heavy anyway.
We had a boat and it had trailer brakes... but it was a PITA when they got wet... Like for the first mile or two, you need to ride the brakes to dry the trailer brakes off because they are drum brakes.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by JimBeam
A 21 foot boat isn't that heavy anyway.
And either is my 16' boat, but I'd be willing to bed money my accident could have been avoided if I had trailer brakes on it. Also, the electric brakes don't get messed up if all of the electrical components are sealed.

Quick Reply: Anyone towing wakeboard boats?