Towing & Hauling

Hooking up brake control HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooking up brake control HELP

I just got my Prodigy as it is the best rated on here. Now I am confused as to which to wire up for the brake switch. Here are two pics and it looks like the first one has been hooked up to a controller before. Not saying it is the right one., I just know that the previous owner had pulled a trailer.Which one do I hook up ?
Thanks,
Raz

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...t=DSCF1678.jpg

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...t=DSCF1685.jpg

Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM
With the Prodigy, you should get a pigtail harness, correct? Now, either connect to a "Ford" supplied harness (connector with bare wires) and match to the corresponding Prodigy harness with bare wires, 2 go color to color but not the other 2 and the gray one? gets taped off as it's not to be used. Or, get a Prodigy to Ford specific harness and plug and go. The plug should face opposite and right near (it's gray) to the OBD 2 port. You shouldn't have to touch any of the wires shown as what's necessary goes to the gray plug from the factory.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 AM
I have the prodigy and also bought the ford pig tail from them for like 10 bucks. I just pluged it into the truck and the other end into the controller. It was alot easier than wireing.
PS- you will love that controller it kicks a$$

Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 AM
This is an old 1986 F150 so you have to use the generic wiring diagram . I am just confused as it looks like both of the items are switches I just don't know which one to use.
Thanks,
Raz

Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 AM
In a 1986 truck since there is no factory trailer brake wiring it needs to be run from scratch. The original poster is trying to find out which wire is the switched brake line that corresponds to the red wire from the prodigy....correct??

I'm sorry I haven't memorized the older trucks wiring colors. I always just use a test light.
One of the wires coming out of the back of the brake pedal switch will be cold until the brake pedal is depressed. That is the wire that needs to be scotch-locked into to activate the brake controller. Don't rely on the wire color guide that comes with the brake controller on a vehicle that old. Most auto manufacturer's like to switch every couple of years. Ford did...pre-1997.

Don't forget to fuse or circuit breaker your power source to the brake controller (black wire) as well as the trailer brake feed (blue wire).

Since trailers commonly get wiring shorts, failing to protect your truck wiring could cause you an electrical fire or other problems.

Good luck....it isn't difficult...just time consuming....

Quick Reply: Hooking up brake control HELP