Towing & Hauling

Prodigy Trailer Brake and 2004 F150. Don't need harness.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prodigy Trailer Brake and 2004 F150. Don't need harness.

Here are some notes about the Prodigy trailer brake controller that I just installed in my 2004 F150 (with factory trailer tow package) so that I can haul a livestock trailer. BTW, if you have a late model F150, and bought the trailer tow package as a factory option, Ford did most of the nasty work of installing one of these controllers for you.

1. I mounted the Prodigy head on the sloping dash area just underneath the headlight switch. There's nothing behind that plastic panel, and you can run the wires between that plastic panel and the plastic kick panel that sits below the steering wheel. The steering wheel plastic kick panel just snaps down, and gives perfect access to behind the dash for running wires. I filed a small hole on the edge of the kick panel below the steering wheel, and routed the wire from the Prodigy, through there to the Ford brake controller plug. Just be careful drilling the holes for the mounting bracket so that you don't accidentally find some wires or something else expensive.

When you buy the factory trailer tow package, not only do you get a transmission cooler, an oil cooler, a heavy duty alternator, a frame mount hitch, and two kinds of trailer wiring hookups, you get a pre-wired plug for the controller, PLUS the harness that fits same. You also get the relay that plugs into the fuse block to the right of the passenger foot well that powers the controller. This makes it INCREDIBLY easy to wire the Prodigy to the truck. THANK YOU, FORD MOTOR COMPANY!!! The trailer brake controller plug faces sideways toward the driver's side door, and sits right above the accelerator, right near the plug where you'd plug in the troubleshooting computer.

The Ford Motor Company-provided-harness has bare wires on the other end from the plug that fits into the Ford controller socket under the dash. You have to splice these ends into the harness that comes with and plugs into the Prodigy. Be very careful, since the colors didn't match the sticker on Prodigy's harness. Just go by the names of the wires that are labeled on the Ford harness (battery, stop light, ground and brake), and you'll be fine.

The controller must be mounted at a specific angle compared to level ground. Although I sweated whether I had exceeded the 70 degree maximum, I shouldn't have worried. The unit is smart enough to tell you if the mounting angle of the controller is unacceptable.

I haven't yet tried the brake controller, but I'm hoping that it works fine.

BTW, the longer I'm associated with my F150, the more I love it. Ford did some incredible human factors work on the vehicle, and seems to have actually listened to their customers when finalizing the design. I love the fact that there is tons of room under the dash, on the firewall and under the hood for installing accessories, working on maintenance issues, or wiring radio equipment. I love the huge opening and the huge capacity of the washer fluid reservoir. I love the supercab backseat, and the 40 / 60 seats that give access to the back while not cluttering up the front with a console. I love the mileage (I get 19 on the highway if I keep it to 55. Mileage decreases to 14 - 15 at 75), love the 4 wheel drive for driving in snowstorms, and love the sliding rear window for carrying long pieces of lumber. It rides like a car, but hauls cargo or trailers without too much effort. I'd buy another one in a second.

C

Last edited by masssheltie; 05-09-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Oh yes, and one other thing. Don't bother calling Ford or your dealership to ask questions about anything. I found the quality of the customer service folks at all of the dealers in my area as well as at the Ford hot line to be abysmal. No one would look anything up (like where I would find the fuse block), and they all made guesses that were completely wrong.

C

Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download it in PDF format.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Ford trucks have had all the relays and harnesses going all the way back to 97 and not just on F150s, so its not really too much of a new feature. The problem is most trucks that are sold used usually have the harness MIA. Though its not really a big deal since I never use that harness. When you order your controller just buy the vehicle specific harness, they're only a couple dollars. There is no splicing this way and no chance of crossing wires. One end plugs into the dash, and the other into the controller. You actually did it the hard way comparatively.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Ford trucks have had all the relays and harnesses going all the way back to 97 and not just on F150s, so its not really too much of a new feature. The problem is most trucks that are sold used usually have the harness MIA. Though its not really a big deal since I never use that harness. When you order your controller just buy the vehicle specific harness, they're only a couple dollars. There is no splicing this way and no chance of crossing wires. One end plugs into the dash, and the other into the controller. You actually did it the hard way comparatively.
Considering my local RV dealer reamed me on the price (I needed the controller in time for the trip to pick up the horse, so saving $50 by ordering off the web wasn't going to work), I decided to save the $15 and use the Ford harness. Hope this wasn't a stupid move.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Prodigy Model and Approximate Price

Originally Posted by masssheltie
Oh yes, and one other thing. Don't bother calling Ford or your dealership to ask questions about anything. I found the quality of the customer service folks at all of the dealers in my area as well as at the Ford hot line to be abysmal. No one would look anything up (like where I would find the fuse block), and they all made guesses that were completely wrong.

C
What is the Prodigy model number, where do you buy it, and what is the approximate cost?

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by krazyman
What is the Prodigy model number, where do you buy it, and what is the approximate cost?

Thanks.
Tekonsha Prodigy
Apprx cost online $99... many e-stores vendors

Quick Reply: Prodigy Trailer Brake and 2004 F150. Don't need harness.