Towing & Hauling

Motorcycle Hauling

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcycle Hauling

Does anyone know of a hauling system for 3 dirt bikes in the bed of a short bed F 150? I can not fit all three in the bed so looking for some other system. Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:43 AM
If you add additional tie down points to what your truck came with, you can fit three fulll size bikes in the bed. I've had a KTM300, an XR400 and a CR250 in the back of my 6.5' bed, 1999 SuperCab.

You won't be able to close the tail gate though.

Two facing forward, with the front wheels turned out so that they are in the front corners of the bed. The third bike goes in backwards, between teh other two. It is a PITA and a tight fit.

The stock Ford tie down locations are not good for hauling bikes. You will need to buy other hooks or tie down attachment points.

If you mount a tie down cleat at the front top center of the bed rail, each of the front bikes can attach to that. Add four additional tie down points, two on each side of the bed. Put a tie down anchor on each side of the bed, about 18" behind the rear of the cab, on the outside of the bed, just below the top rail. Add another paiar about 12" to 18" from the tail gate, one on each side of the bed.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks. My problem is I have to close the tail gate. I have a pop up trailer that would hit the tail gate if down.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
try an extension on your hitch?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brescue
Thanks. My problem is I have to close the tail gate. I have a pop up trailer that would hit the tail gate if down.
Well, that's some info that would have been good to know in the original post!

Ha ha, just busting your ***** some there!

I didn't think you could close the gate on a shortbed with a single motorcycle in the back unless you went from corner to corner?? Three would be a tight fit in a full 8' bed I'd think...

But, that does pose a problem.. Since you only have a 'popup' trailer, then you can look into getting a hitch extension, but remember that the extension will act like a huge lever and add that much more stress to your hitch and probably won't tow the same as before.. If the tongue weight is around #300, I don't think you'll have any issues, but if it is more then that, it might..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brescue
Maybe you could haul/tow by removing the tailgate?

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Hauling