Towing & Hauling

Newb questions about electronic brake controller hook up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb questions about electronic brake controller hook up

I am going to order a brake controller here this week. Not sure which one yet. My question is about the install. My truck has the tow package and I have read some about this subject. From what I understand I can just plug this controller into a port under the dash right?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Right behind your ODBII port above the gas pedal is a grey connector that a brake controller will plug into.

If you have the tow package, your truck came with a wiring harness that plugs into this connector.

You will still need to connect the wires of the wire harness to a brake controller.
The exception to this is a Tekonsha Prodigy wiring harness. If you buy the optional application specific harness seperately it will just plug into the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller as well as just plug into the truck connection with no seperate wire connctions needed to be done by you.

The fuses and relays should already be installed from the factory in a 2005 truck.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Suspended
Thanks for the help osprey! My truck was bought used and it does not have the wire harness in the glove box.

This is the harness I need though correct?
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...productid=1950

And is this the correct controller?

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...p?productid=60

So if I buy these two items it should be very easy to hook this thing up? Just plug and play?

I notice this controller does not have the sliding lever like most do. I am assumign this thing is totally automatic. That sure makes things easy. Especially for a Newbie to towing trailers.

Last edited by BigMan; 05-12-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by BigMan
Thanks for the help osprey! My truck was bought used and it does not have the wire harness in the glove box.

So if I buy these two items it should be very easy to hook this thing up? Just plug and play?

I notice this controller does not have the sliding lever like most do. I am assumign this thing is totally automatic. That sure makes things easy. Especially for a Newbie to towing trailers.
That is the Tekonsha Prodigy, one of the most widely used controllers for RV'ers. The manual control is under the body of the controller (hard to see in that pic). I feel that is a very good choice for a beginner. Be sure to read the owners manual for proper setup, there are some adjustments to the "digital" output that helps you fine tune the use of your brakes.
As far as the connections go, that is the exact harness you need, just plug and play.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Suspended
And I am borrowing a WD hitch with sway bars from a guy at work. I should be good to go.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigMan

Have you checked in all the door pockets? That is where they seem to through them usually, especially passenger rear.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
My 2005 came with this harness as well as a relay. Everything is still in the bag, but where does the relay go if you say they are already installed and ready to go?

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Suspended
Yes I checked all the pockets. The only thing I found in the rear side pocket was some shot gun bb's. No sign of the harness. I ordered a harness and the prodigy controller for $111.00 shipped. Not to bad.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:27 AM
BigMan - did you receive the goods and install? How did it go and how does it work?

I'm in the exact spot you are/were (used, no harness) and am thinking of doing the exact same thing.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:15 PM
I have a 2004 F150, and I had to install the relay to power the controller into the fuse block. My relay resided in the same bag as the harness that came with the truck. The relay did NOT come with the Prodigy.

C

Quick Reply: Newb questions about electronic brake controller hook up