Towing & Hauling

Show me where you placed your electric brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show me where you placed your electric brake controller

I just order my tekonsha Prodigy and harness for my up coming memorial day weekend trip. I am goign to install this thing as soon as it gets here. I am not sure if I want to drill holes under my dash. I am thinking of installing it with velcro or double sided tape. Show me where yours is and any tips about install would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Here you go!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I would be careful mounting it where 4by4freek put his. I tried it there initially but the toe of my shoe or boot would catch the wiring harness and, apart from the unnecessary where on the harness and connector, I don't feel it is safe to have your foot impeded in any manner, however slight it may be. I remounted mine on the opposite side. No interefernce problems and still easy to see and use. You probably won't have much luck with velcros, etc... since the manual brake lever on the bottom of the controller puts quite a bit of torque on the whole unit if/when you use it. It might pop loose if you only have it mounted with velcro or tape. Here's a pic:

Last edited by COLORADO_CAMPER; 05-12-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Suspended
I am thinking it might be Ok down there on the left side. Does it come with mounting hardware?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes it should come with a bracket and self-tapping screws. On my '08 there is a metal tab in the location I mounted mine and I just tapped the screws into that tab and mounted the bracket - solid as a rock.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Actually, the wiring harness goes straight out the rear of the unit and goes straight up under the dash. It is wire tied to the harness that runs along the underside of the dash. If a boot were to catch it, it would have to be one BIG boot or you have your foot somewhere it doesn't belong. The reason it is on the right side is because my Edge Evolution cable comes in from the left side to the OBDII port. It is easy to reach and works well. The Prodigy comes with 2 different mounts. One is a pocket mount and the other is a metal u shaped mount. I used the pocket mount. You can unplug it and slide it right out. The pocket mount is a little lower profile than the u shape.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 PM

I don't know about your truck but on mine like you see in the second pic came with a metal bracket built in and I just drilled holes though it and mounted it there and it is pretty level too.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
4by4freek,

after reading your last post I looked at your picture again. You mounted your controller on the lower face of the dash whereas I mounted mine under the dash on that side (initially). So, you probably wouldn't have any problems with hanging up a boot, etc... I didn't try to mount mine on the face of the dash because I didn't want any holes there. Mounted under the dash on the right side of the steering column there just wasn't enough clearance for the gas and brake pedals. No problems when mounted on the left side.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
You are correct. It is mounted on the face of the dash. It is low on the face though. I don't plan on removing it any time soon so I am not worried about a couple of 1/16" holes. I put it where it was the easiest to reach. I mocked it up on the left side and didn't like the reach needed to get to the lever in case of emergency. If I could have, I would have mounted it on top of the dash. I really didn't like the way that looked. If I had a pocket in the dash, I would have mounted it there. My 97 Expedition had a nice pocket and the controller would have fit perfectly.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Godwin70510
I don't know about your truck but on mine like you see in the second pic came with a metal bracket built in and I just drilled holes though it and mounted it there and it is pretty level too.
Exactly what I did. It is a very clean and simple setup right there. Doesn't get in the way of anything either.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I mounted mine just below the light switch on the sloped plastic panel. Not the best since I keep hitting it with my knee when I enter and exit the vehicle.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by masssheltie
I mounted mine just below the light switch on the sloped plastic panel. Not the best since I keep hitting it with my knee when I enter and exit the vehicle.
That is the exact reason I didn't mount mine on the left side of the steering wheel. Why have to go around something, when you can put it on the other side and not have to go around it?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
That is the exact reason I didn't mount mine on the left side of the steering wheel. Why have to go around something, when you can put it on the other side and not have to go around it?
I mounted my Prodigy in the exact same location but used the U-bracket. As stated above, I mounted mine on the right so it was out of the way when entering the truck and is also very hidden from sight, (both for safety and aesthetics). I leave my controller in my truck year round and have never kicked, bumped or hit it. Its the perfect spot if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Show me where you placed your electric brake controller