Towing & Hauling

Add-a-leaf or airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add-a-leaf or airbags?

Have a 2005 FX4 with a 2" levelling kit. I tow a 28' travel trailer that is 4500lbs dry and maxes out at 7600lbs. I use a weight distribution hitch but I still feel the back end could use some help - both with stability and sagging.

The ever popular question is - what do I go with?

The pros:

AAL - install them and forget it, no need to make adjustments after the fact
AAL - lower cost

AB - fully adjustable
AB - smoother ride (is this correct?)

The cons:

AAL - increased rake and lose the squared off stance of my truck
AAL - harsher ride (is this correct?)

AB - increased cost
AB - need to worry about maintaining a correct pressure for the situation / matching pressures
AB - can no longet jack the truck up by the frame (as stated in the Firestone airbag install guide)

Can anyone help me out and provide some insight?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I came up with basically the same pros and cons when I installed my Hellwig Overload springs. These are not the AAL where you are physically adding an additional leaf to the stock leaf pack. These attach above the stock springs and use large U bolts to attach to the ends of the stock springs. You can adjust the amount of 'tension' on these to kinda tailor the ride and effect of them.

For me, it was simply the fact that I wanted something that was always going to be there and not worry about about. I can see the benefits of the bags, but for me, the springs were my best option.

As for the ride before and after the overloads, I have to say my ride IMPROVED after installing them! They give a 'firmer' ride, yes, but not harsh (to me anyway). The truck used to 'roll' pretty bad in the corners. Now, it corners much better. I like the firmer ride anyway... It's a truck! If I wanted a cushy ride, I'd get a cushy car, ha, ha!

I never towed without the overloads, so I can't say what difference there is, but my #5000 TT tows very solid. It only drops about 2" when you drop the tongue on the hitch. After setting the WD bars, it's back to it's normal ride height.

So, both paths will get you there! just gotta pick one and go with it!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Doesn't sound like you need any help...you just need to make a personal decision based on the facts you've already provided yourself

Just for the couple of questions on your ride...you are correct...with no load and the air bags at the minimum pressure (I think mine says 10 psi [but I run 7-8]) there is zero change in the 'pre-installation' ride quality.

And my Firestone book says you can lift via the frame as long as you let all the air completely out of the bags. And even though you listed "maintaining the correct pressure" as a con, it's extremely minimal. Mine don't leak a bit, so it's a set it and forget it deal...both loaded and minimum pressures. Plus, at less than $100 difference between the two options, I don't consider that much of a con either for what you're getting for the money.

Just another side to the story!

Hey Mitch!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey Galaxy! I was going to mention in my post that you'd be stopping by to add your thoughts too! Just forgot to do it!

Red,

Yep, you basically have the 'facts'... You also now have comments from two members that run each setup and are happy with the results for their particular needs...

So, decide what's important for you and follow that path to heavier payload bliss!

Mitch

Old 05-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Go with these
http://www.timbren.com/ses-landscape.htm

They do not affect the ride.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by 60tbirdrick
Go with these

Are those just a big rubber spring?

Anyone ever use these on their truck?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Question about the Timbren stuff - I see it replaces the stock bumpstop. The instructions for my truck - http://www.timbren.com/timbren-appli...dfs/FR150D.pdf - show that you can add a spacer to adjust ride height. So, are these springs riding on the axle all the time? I would guess so if they include a spacer for ride height.

The reason I ask is that in the Timbren FAQ - http://www.timbren.com/frequently-asked-questions.htm - they mention some kits having to have a 1" gap. I guess because the F150 instructions don't mention this, it is not applicable to my application.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I've heard a lot of 'good' things about the Timbrens, but all I get out of it is that it IS just a bump stop...

As I understand them, you want to have a 'gap', so that way, it maintains your 'stock' ride. When you put a load in, they hit the stop and then they probably have a 'progressive' compression rate to them and still allow your suspension to work, but are adding additional support for the springs??

That might be the way to go for you, if you like the stock ride.... Since you have an '05, you have a higher GVWR and rear GAWR then I do, so you have stiffer springs to begin with, compared to mine (which was way too soft for my taste), so that's why the overloads worked for ME...

If you are looking to level out your rig when it's got a load, then the air bags would fit that bill, as you can add air to actually 'lift' the rear end. The Timbrens or overloads will only let you add more weight before it starts to sag too much..

So now you have to wait for someone to ring in that has the Timbrens!! Sorry, I can't help on that, but they were NOT the solution to my original issues, so that's why I don't have them...

Mitch

Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Mitch, that's how I interpreted their application as well.

I think I'm back to air bags or add-a-leaf with the air bags taking the current lead.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM
When put on properly, there should be about a 1" gap between the axle and the rubber spring. This way the ride will not be affected when unloaded. I have been using these with my 6,000lb TT and am real happy with them. Helper springs and air bags will affect your ride while unloaded.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 AM
if you arent constantly hauling heavy loads, AAL work well. I have used that in the past.

The air bags are the way to go probably in your case, but the maintenance might be undesirable.
AAL's could be that cheap, temporary fix until you decide if you want air bags- with an AAL, you might find that sufficient?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
air bags will affect your ride while unloaded
I don't believe so as long as you lower them to minimum pressure.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't believe so as long as you lower them to minimum pressure.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 60tbirdrick
Go with these

These look pretty slick. They are waranteed for life and require no maintenance after installation. I can install them myself in about a half hour. I am sold, I just ordered a set for the rear of my truck for $225 bucks Canadian. My next choice would have been the air bags but airing them up and down seemed like a pain to me.

Quick Reply: Add-a-leaf or airbags?