Towing & Hauling

trailer brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer brakes?

I recently bought a seadoo 18ft boat and the pdf states the trailer has 'disk brakes'. When I picked it up from the dealer he said the trailer doesn't have any brakes. I wouldn't be surprised if he's wrong but it doesn't 'feel' like the trailer is braking. Also, with a 4 prong attachment is there power going to brakes?

It doesn't really look like there are brakes on the trailer. Its just a simple axe with wheels on the ends. I wasn't really looking that close though. I will now that I looked at the pdf file again.

So, any idea what is meant by 'disk brakes' if its a 4 prong connection?

Gassed up the combination weighs over 3k and I would really prefer if it had brakes.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe it meant them as an 'option'?

I've only seen disk brakes on 'high end' trailers.. I've seen 'em on a boat trailer once, but it was a pretty fancy one with dual axles and the boat that came on it was one of those fancy 'bass boats'..

Those brakes were hydraulic and activated by a surge brake setup on the trailers hitch.

Electric brakes are more common on travel trailers and other land based trailers. They are also usually drum brakes. Even if you had electric drum brakes on your trailer, a flat four won't run 'em.. You need a seven pin and then you need a brake controller plugged in the cab.

Back in the day, we had a 19' Fiberform ski boat with a Calkins trailer. It had to weigh some #5000 when all gassed up! That trailer had NO brakes either! Towed it with a 1971 F250 and while you noticed it back there, you just had to brake a lot sooner then normal! It still stopped ok for the most part however...

These days, you need brakes on the trailer if over #2000 I think it is in general...

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 07-04-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Finally able to get ahold of the dealer. Said he's never seen a trailer for my boat with brakes. I have no idea why the manuf. internet site states disk brakes but obiously a typo.

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't really have a problem at all stopping with the weight, just need to hang back a little further in traffic.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
You need to check your state's motor vehicle laws for the maximum weight you can legally tow without trailer brakes.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You need to check your state's motor vehicle laws for the maximum weight you can legally tow without trailer brakes.
Required over 4,500 lbs when speed is over 30mph

Last edited by robertmII; 07-08-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 PM
In Colorado it is 2500lbs commercial, 3500lbs private with the provesion that there is no minimum if it can affect the tow vehicle.

Example..... class I on a small to medium size car (2000lb trailer) max weight.
2000Lbs pushing in an emergency stop will affect the tow vehicles ability to stop.... therefore on smaller/medium vehicles towing almost any trailer means brakes are almost mandatory. The same size trailer behind a 1 ton dually truck would be ok without trailer brakes.

Quick Reply: trailer brakes?