Towing & Hauling

Trailer storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer storage

Im looking to buy a trailer to tow my mustang around (track/dyno). I’ve rented the u-haul trailer but there is never one close and it doesn’t seem to be cost effective for me. The only problem is I don’t really have any place to store it (driveway isn’t wide enough). Anyone here store a trailer at a storage facility? Just looking for an estimate on how much it'll cost.

Anyone know anyone selling an open car trailer?
John

Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bxstang2000
Im looking to buy a trailer to tow my mustang around (track/dyno). I’ve rented the u-haul trailer but there is never one close and it doesn’t seem to be cost effective for me. The only problem is I don’t really have any place to store it (driveway isn’t wide enough). Anyone here store a trailer at a storage facility? Just looking for an estimate on how much it'll cost.

Anyone know anyone selling an open car trailer?
John
I store my car hauler and boat at a storage facility. I'm sure prices vary regionally though. Down here in Dallas prices range from 1000 down to $500 a year. I called about 40 places before I found the one I'm at now. I pay $500 annually in cash for the car trailer and am guaranteed that price as long as I pay the next year before the due date. Got them down to $400 cash per year on the boat since I arleady have the car hauler there.

I suggest looking around and calling mult. places. Also, recommend checking the place out before you commit. It might be a smoking deal but if its in the projects your trailer might not be there when you come back. I have ins. on my stuff in case of just such a scenerio.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
...Anyone here store a trailer at a storage facility?...
Don't just limit yourself to storage facilities, $4 plus gas will have the RV community hurting. RV Parks and campsites may be willing to deal on longterm. We have two around here that have a fenced/locked area just for storage.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Don't buy a used trailer unless it's a smoking deal.

I bought my 2 axle, electric brakes, dovetail Carson new for $1400. I saw people selling the same trailer, used, for $1500-2000 week after week, and people were buying them within a week.

Go to the local Carson dealer and find one with scratches. They can mark it down $150 for scratches and since it's a car hauler, who cares?

Great part about buying a trailer is as long as you don't destroy it, you can probably sell it for what you bought it for or more.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah im going to buy new. I’ve been looking for a few months and haven’t found anything in decent condition close to me for around $1000. I’ve searched ebay, craigslist, newspapers, and online classifieds with nothing. I found this dealer in PA with an all metal deck 16ft diamond deck trailer with hideaway ramps for $1795. It’s the best I’ve found and the prices will soon go up more with steel so im going Saturday to buy it. Hopefully I'll be able to get another couple hundred off.

I live in NY and am going to PA to buy the trailer will i pay sales tax since I found it online? Im paying cash so hopefully they could help me out with no tax.

For $100 they offer detachable fenders. Is this something I could do my self or does this need to be done during production?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah im going to buy new. I’ve been looking for a few months and haven’t found anything in decent condition close to me for around $1000. I’ve searched ebay, craigslist, newspapers, and online classifieds with nothing....
Steel prices have trailer manufacturers' raising prices.
Most of our trailer manufactures' have raised prices between 6-30% since December. It is hard to just buy the steel for a car hauler for $1000. Add axles 3.5k w/ electric brakes ($350ea) plus a wood deck ($250) and it is tough to even find a car hauler for $1800.
The used market is very hot right now and used and consignment trailers are on our lot less than a week.

For $100 they offer detachable fenders. Is this something I could do my self or does this need to be done during production?
It will cost you more than $100 to make removable fenders later.
As long as they are well made opt for the extra $100.
Make sure the removable fenders are strong enough to stand on as well as removable with pins or bolts the same size as your lug nuts so you don't have to carry around extra tools.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info.. Hopefully they could put on a removable fender on Saturday because my stang is too low and Ill have to crawl through the window. Ill post some pics when i pick it up.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
You can't avoid sales tax if you pick the thing up.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Where in NY are you from? I'm also looking for a place to store a trailer for work.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Im in the Pelham Bay section of the Bronx not far from the George Washington Bridge. Have you priced any places out yet? Are you in NY or NJ?

I found out I need to pay sales tax when I go register it. I was hoping for the cash deal where you don’t pay sales tax lol. Oh well I got the trailer and its great. Ill be using it to tow the Stang to the tuner on Tuesday.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Im in the Pelham Bay section of the Bronx not far from the George Washington Bridge. Have you priced any places out yet? Are you in NY or NJ?

I found out I need to pay sales tax when I go register it. I was hoping for the cash deal where you don’t pay sales tax lol. Oh well I got the trailer and its great. Ill be using it to tow the Stang to the tuner on Tuesday.
Ahh, I'm from Rockland County, right across the TZ from Westchester.

No, I haven't had a chance to get any prices yet. Hopefully, I'll get everything taken care of in the coming weeks, as I really need to get a new trailer ASAP.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I'll share my experience.

I suggest a minimum lenght of 18', this comes from someone who used to own and use a 16' trailer - they are toooooo short to do anything with, the extra length helps to be able to move the car around and getthe weight distributred correctly (for a Mustang this may not be an issue, but try getting a 64 Galaxie on a 16' trailer). I bought a 20' open trailer about a year ago, paid 2,300 for it out the door, it is all metal, brakes on both axles, break away kit on it, and spare included. If you get an open trailer with brakes on both axles and a good controller (as in a Prodigy) the truck/trailer, when loaded, stops better than driving around in just the truck unloaded- I hope that makes sense. There is no need for a removable fender, they should be able to build the trailer with the fenders low enough to open the door with the car loaded. I have a Mustang that sits at the minimum ride height allowed by the class I run (4" from pavement to bottom of bumper cover) and I can leave the door open when I winch it onto the trialer with no clearance issues at all. Although, it is a major bitch to load the car on the trailer due to the low ride height. One thing I would HIGHLY suggest is a big aluminum box on the front to store things in, you will be using the trailer for the same sort of thing I am and you WILL NEED the storage space. It takes up 3 foot of the trailer, 5 foot high, and 83" wide (the entire width of the trailer). I keep my generater, lots of nitrous bottles, tools, bottle warmer, tie downs, and a bunch of other crap in there (it is lockable) that other wise would be in the bed of the truck, also it really protects the car while towing.

Last edited by 70BOSS302; 07-18-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
APT
As for sales tax, you'll pay NY taxes when you register/plate it. Do not pay PA taxes on it.

Quick Reply: Trailer storage