Towing & Hauling

Hitch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch Removal

I have a towing package on my F150 but I would like to remove the hitch, I do not use it nor do I intend to it just looks rusty etc so I would like it off! My question is how! It looks as if the hitch "splits" on either side and is bolted to the rear fenders at each end. It also looks as though there are at least 4 bolts holding the middle section in place. I do not obviously want to undo anything that I shouldn't so I would like to know if there is any sort of picture that would show what/where needs to be unbolted. Do the plastic "tops" of the rear fenders come off otherwise its not going to be easy to get those bolts off either. Thanks

Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM
What year model F150 are you referring to?

Most all trucks with a tow package will have a reciever hitch that is bolted to the frame with 4-8 bolts. There is no need to remove fenders and such.
The factory hitches are a one piece welded design and do not come apart in the middle or sides. Remove the 6 mounting bolts and its out.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM
I have an 05 model. In relation to the fenders it looks as if there are bolts near each corner of the fenders, sorry its hard to explain!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You are correct. I just crawled under mine and the bumper ties into the hitch in that the bumper is bolted to the hitch, then the hitch is bolted to the frame. If you want to remove the hitch then you need to get the bumper that comes with out the hitch.

You best bet is to find someone who would like a hitch and is willing to swap bumpers with you. Since your giving up a hitch, that will be easy to find. The tough part is to find someone with the same color bumper.

SSG57 is looking for a hitch for his truck. https://www.f150online.com/forums/to...tch-brand.html

Old 07-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the reply I was begining to think I was wrong & missing something!! I think that it will be staying on for the moment then, its not really practical to swap it out unless someone was nearby. My truck has chrome fenders with black plastic on the top edge. Is my hitch capable of towing more than a "traditional one", I am just wondering why someone would get one of those instead!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent47
Is my hitch capable of towing more than a "traditional one", I am just wondering why someone would get one of those instead!
It all comes down to looks. The factory hitch is hidden from view under the bumper. You can see why, it's behind the bumper.

Quick Reply: Hitch Removal