Towing & Hauling

No Towing Package - What next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Towing Package - What next?

I've searched through some of the threads, but can't find the answer to my question. I have a 2000 F150 4x4 without a towing package. All I have is the 4-pin plug on the bumper. I've added tow hitch and now have a trailer that needs brakes. Do I have to run any extra wiring for a 7-pin plug? It looks like the plug-n-play F150 plug I bought isn't long enough to reach any existing connections. Looks like I'll have to do some splicing and wire running...

I do see a gray plug under the dash, right side of steering wheel. Is this for the brake control? Can I simply buy the plug for the brake control and plug in under the dash then get the relays and fuses I need?

Basically, I'm wondering if the wiring harness will have the wiring, and all I need are the connections on either end.

Thanks!!

Last edited by samarium; 07-26-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Let's go front to back on what you'd need, I just did the same a few months ago on the same year rig. You need the 2 relays that are underhood in the flip open box. The locations are given in the sticky (top of this section). Then cross reference your owners manual for exactly where they go. The grey plug is the brake controller plug. I myself would get a Prodigy controller with a Ford to Prodigy harness, otherwise you'd get a Ford one and splice to the one included with the prodigy. Both the Ford one and the other already setup are about the same price. Then, I like using the Ford 7/4 pin plugs that simply plug into the taillight plug, the larger on the drivers side frame rail as well as the ground wire. Easy as hell and that's it. Any questions, let me know or others will chime in who helped me out huge when I did the same thing.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Smile

Thanks a bunch. I saw that larger sized plug on the drivers side frame rail and had a hunch that would be the one. I bought an F150 4/7 plug from WallyWorld, but it only has a 8" pig tail...no way it will reach up there. I'm assuming the Ford 4/7 plug has a much longer pig tail to make it over to that frame rail.

What did you do with the existing 4-way plug? Just tuck it underneath, or cut it off. It doesn't look like it just unplugs, as there are other wires coming out to go other places.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 PM
OK...ordered the Prodigy from Brakecontroller.com with F150 connector, and the OEM 7-way plug/harness from etrailer.com (comes with fuses and relays). Both should be here this week. That should do it.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 PM
All I did with my 4 pin was disconnect from the plug on the frame along with the ground wire, disconnect the taillight plug and some x-mas tree clip if I remember and out she came. The new 4/7 went in just as easy, literally plug and play. There shouldn't be that long of harness to go from the bumper to the frame, maybe 1-1.5 ft and the one to the taillight was less by half maybe. Sounds like one stop shopping will take care of everything you need so a half hour installing these things and you're good to go.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by samarium
OK...ordered the Prodigy from Brakecontroller.com with F150 connector, and the OEM 7-way plug/harness from etrailer.com (comes with fuses and relays).
Hey Samarium,

Did you get your stuff? I just did the same installation on my 2000 F150 4.6L 4x4 Supercab XL yesterday. It couldn't have been simpler: I plugged the two relays (provided) into the engine compartment fuse/relay panel, connected the brake controller to the existing factory harness connector right above the OBDII data port (by the driver's knee), then dropped the spare tire and connected the rear harness and 7-pin connector.

The 7-pin harness is a "T"-- it allows the existing connections to the 4-pin connector to "pass through," and it adds the leads down to the 7-pin connector. You'll need a small socket (5/16"? I forget) to unbolt the existing ground lug from the frame to add the new harness's ground to it. (A wire brush to clean up the frame contact point is a good idea, too.) That's pretty much it. Drill holes for self-tapping screws to hang the brake controller and the 7-pin connector, and you're done.

My kit came with two fuses too, but they were not needed.

Thanks to a couple of stickies here and some nicely designed wiring harnesses, this was MUCH easier than years of listening to trailer-light horror stories had led me to believe.

Let us know how your installation goes.

Ed

Old 07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
F150NJ,

I'm almost there!! Spent the evenings this week installing the brakes on the trailer and getting that wired. If anyone is looking for a great deal on brakes check out R&PCarriages on ebay. Great folks. They package everything you need from brakes to wire to connectors to break away battery and switch for about $200 delivered! All instructions included that made it a piece of cake to install. So the trailer is ready with 7-pin plug.

Also got the Prodigy brake controller with F150 plug. Easy install! Ready to go.

7-Pin plug, solenoid and fuses for back of the truck should be here tomorrow. Hoping that it goes as easy as you say, that's what I'm counting on.

If all goes well I'll get the trailer inspected and registered on Monday. (it's a second-hand home-made landscape trailer that was made from an old 70's camper frame...had to get brakes to pass inspection, hence this whole posting.)

Quick Reply: No Towing Package - What next?