Towing & Hauling

Trailer inside lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer inside lights

My enclosed trailer has lights inside. The one I had before would turn on the lights if it was just plugged in. This one the ignition has to be on for the lights to work. I do not mind having to turn on the ACC for them to turn on, but want them to turn on without the motor running or the key halfway on.

Can anyone help me out? I am a dufus when it comes to electric (and a little scared of it) so make it simple!

Steve

Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Lights out?

Anyone?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by fs_ar
My enclosed trailer has lights inside. The one I had before would turn on the lights if it was just plugged in. This one the ignition has to be on for the lights to work. I do not mind having to turn on the ACC for them to turn on, but want them to turn on without the motor running or the key halfway on.
Ford switches the aux power off with the ignition so you don't accidently drain your battery if you left a trailer light on.

If the interior light worked in your old trailer with the truck key off you had an on board power source in the trailer like a battery. You can easily add a deep cycle battery to your trailer so that you can turn on the lights when the truck is off.

OR

If your goal is to just have interior lights on with the key off.... most interior lights can be piggy backed on the running lights of the trailer. This means that you turn on the truck running lights to turn on the interior lights. I prefer this method for cargo trailers since you will see the truck lights and trailer exterior running lights on to make the interior lights work.

Any trailer repair center that does wiring can easily do either fix.

Quick Reply: Trailer inside lights