Towing & Hauling

what do i need to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do i need to do

a buddy of mine is giving me an old fixerup trailer hes had in his back yard for free. it was last registerd in 2000 so its been sitting 8 years he hooked it up to the 4 wheeler and it pulled right out so the axles not frozen. its about a 15 mile drive to get it back to my house is there anything i should do before i hook it up to tow it im going to throw a plate on it and hook up lights anything else

Old 07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How big of a trailer are we talking about? Is it a travel trailer, utility trailer, car hauler?

In general, I'd make sure the tires will hold air and aren't too cracked.. If that 15 mile trip is on side roads, try to keep it under 35 mph.. Any faster and depending on how heavy it is, you could pop a tire or two...

Give each hub a spin to see how it turns.. If you hear any grinding or they seem to be gummed up you should pull the hub and check out and re lube the bearings.. You are going to have to do it anyway, but if you can at least move it to a better location to do them, that would be better!

Make sure the hitch latch works and get the correct size ball.

That's just some of the basics, but depedning on the condition of the rest of the trailer, you just want to make sure nothing can fall off!

Good luck!

Mitch