Towing & Hauling

9-Foot Tailer wobbles!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9-Foot Tailer wobbles!

OK, I have two trailers: one is a 12 foot double axel type, the other is a small, 9-ffot single axel. No problems at all with the 12-footer, and, when the 9-footer is unloaded, I can tow it as fast as I want.

The problem is, however, when I load the little guy up with wood, it starts to seriously wobble and yaw back and forth as soon as I hit about 45 MPH. I am very careful to make sure that the load is balanced correctly, so...What is going on? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim C.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is misloaded. Either too much or too little tongue weight. Both of those will cause sway.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to have more weight on the tongue to stop the fishtailing.

A balanced trailer will not tow properly. There have been times when my utility trailer would fishtail and I would pull over and move my load foward for more tongue weight. It is a simple as moving a tool box or water jug to the front of the trailer for the added weight.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In addition to the above, how level is the trailer when it's hitched up to your truck? If it's nose high, then it could do what you are describing, even if you have more weight up front. Better to be level to just a tad nose down if possible.

Where the axles are placed makes a difference too. My 4x8 'lil Tex' utility trailer has a tilt bed and when they first designed them, they placed the axles too far forward so the bed would tilt and hold it in the tilt position. But, it turned out that it would sway when empty. The later designs had the axles farther back. The bed still tilts, but someone has to hold it tilted until you load it...

Mine is actually a tad nose high when it's hitched up, but due to the axle placement and loading it heavier up front, I've never experienced sway with it.

Got any pics of the trailer?

Good luck!
Mitch

Quick Reply: 9-Foot Tailer wobbles!