Towing & Hauling

What should i do??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should i do??????

I Love my 07 Screw and bought it only intending to tow snowmobiles in the winter. Now the kids are getting older we want to get a camper. After reading all the conflicting opinions I dont know what to do!!!! I dont want to kill my truck and risk the safety of my family!!!! I see there are alot of people on here pulling some BIG campers and say they have no problems. I just dont understand all weight configurations??????? I read on the ford website my truck is rated for #8300 towing so i found a 27' camper that i love and the dry weight is #6200 so i think well even fully loaded it will be way under #8300 no problems!!!! Now i have to figure in truck, fuel, passenger,gear weight !!!! I'm confused I dont want to upgrade to a F250 but i also dont want to buy a pop up camper cause its the safest thing to tow!!!!!!!!! My truck has the 5.4 with the tow pkg and 3.55 gears .Thanks for any input!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just because your 'tow rating' is #8300, does not mean that's what you are going to be able to load up to and just roll along fine...

By that I mean, the 'tow ratings' from any manufacture is based off a totally BASE vehicle... So, think of the 'work truck' version of your model and that's what could possibly get away with towing at it's rated "tow rating". Also, it's only figured for the driver and a full tank of gas.. Add in the spouse, kids, dog, stuff in the bed.. That's all additional payload, and reduces your 'tow rating' almost pound for pound.

Oh, if you have additional options on the truck, that adds additional 'payload' as well..

All that being said, even if you could stay within your trucks other weight limits (GVWR, GAWR and GCWR) with a #8300 trailer, it's still going to be a slug towing.... Yeah, it's 'rated' to tow it, but it'll still take it's toll on your truck and not perform well at all.

Just to give you an idea of how all these weights relate in the real world, take my truck for example.. It's got less weight ratings then your truck, but the same principle applies..

I tow a #5000, fully loaded, 22' travel trailer. My truck has a 'tow rating' of #7700.. Yet, that #5000 TT puts my truck over it's GVWR by several hundred pounds. And it's only my wife and I on board!

It does tow pretty good and the performance is fine, but I don't think I'd feel the same way if I were to tow a #7700 TT....

If you can find a TT that it's GVWR is between #6500 and #7000, then you should be okay with your truck.. This will put that rig somewhere in the #5000 'dry' weight range.

Towing anything at it's 'max' will make any vehicle work harder.. Sure, it can be done, but you also have to consider everything else too..

Mitch

Old 08-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Based on my experiences you are going to be at the upper end of the range of what these trucks can reasonably (comfortably? Safely?) tow with that travel trailer. Can you do it? Yes. But it will probably be better for your truck if you are not towing this rig frequently and over long distances.

I tow a trailer that when fully loaded is right around 6,000 and we have the usual collection of stuff in the truck so I am below my limits and after 2 years and many thousands of miles traveled I am pretty comfortable towing this load... and I am pretty safe with it too.

A lot of this will come down to your brakes, brake controller, weight distribution system and sway control. I have the Prodigy controller, I check the brakes on the trailer often to ensure they work well and I use the Equal-i-zer WD and sway system. Works like a champ.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I to tow a 22 foot TT, weighs 4100lbs empty. When I load it all up my truck tows her like a dream. I have a 04 FX4 screw with a 5.4 and she dont skip a beat. I would maybe look at a smaller TT ,and then you would not be dissapointed with the truck. 27 seems quite large and heavy.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I to tow a 22 foot TT, weighs 4100lbs empty. When I load it all up my truck tows her like a dream. I have a 04 FX4 screw with a 5.4 and she dont skip a beat. I would maybe look at a smaller TT ,and then you would not be dissapointed with the truck. 27 seems quite large and heavy.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Get a "Lighter" trailer

Originally Posted by Kevin O.
I Love my 07 Screw and bought it only intending to tow snowmobiles in the winter. Now the kids are getting older we want to get a camper. After reading all the conflicting opinions I dont know what to do!!!! I dont want to kill my truck and risk the safety of my family!!!! I see there are alot of people on here pulling some BIG campers and say they have no problems. I just dont understand all weight configurations??????? I read on the ford website my truck is rated for #8300 towing so i found a 27' camper that i love and the dry weight is #6200 so i think well even fully loaded it will be way under #8300 no problems!!!! Now i have to figure in truck, fuel, passenger,gear weight !!!! I'm confused I dont want to upgrade to a F250 but i also dont want to buy a pop up camper cause its the safest thing to tow!!!!!!!!! My truck has the 5.4 with the tow pkg and 3.55 gears .Thanks for any input!!!!!!
I tow a 22' Trail Lite they say weighs around 3000 lbs UNloaded! No water no propane no nada. I tow a lot. I am leaving on a 1400 mile trip to Olympic Park in Washington in 2 weeks.
My trailer when Not fully loaded (No water)or waste I know it weighs around 5500 lbs. ( I put it on a scale)
Tows great but does work hard in the mountains. I would not go any larger. I could tow your trailer but I would not be real comfortable doing it. They( Truck Dealers, RV dealers, Chevy guys sitting around), always say you can Tow more than you really can in the real world. RV deakers told my wife she could tow our trailer with an old Tacoma six she had. WOW That would have been so unsafe. Do a lot of research before you buy! Get all the safety equipment!!

I also think 3.55 gears are a little tall for towing.
I am looking at the new 250 diesel super duty to be real safe with my next trailer which will be a 27 footer.
Ps 3.55 gears? I think 3.73 gears are way better for Towing.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
General rule, 1/2 tom keep it under 6000 pounds loaded and you'll be happy. 8k pounds on a regualr basis = 3/4+.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I've got an 07 s-crew 5.4 w 3.55 gears. I tow an enclosed car hauler and fully loaded I'm at ~7500 lbs. Honestly the truck does just fine. I've towed several thousand miles with it now and have been really happy with the package. Its not diesel for sure but it pulls through the Appellation mntns at 60-65 no problem.

Really there is not much difference between 4000 to 7500 lbs for me. It’s all wind resistance with a big trailer. It might actually tow a little better because of the extra weight keeping the trailer planted.

I have made some upgrades. Toyer software, SIDO exhaust, AF1 intake, prodigy brake controller, Equalizer WDH, Scan Gage, and Amosoil in the tranny.

If I was going to tow every weekend no way. For the every couple months tow then it’s a great setup. In fact I'm towing 3600 miles round trip coming up here in about a month.

Last edited by robertmII; 08-18-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the input guys!!! looks like im going to just have to get a smaller camper and keep the weight around #6000. I love the truck to much to get rid of her!!! besides if i upgraded to a F250 or F350 i wouldn't beable to afford the camper anyway!!! thanks again!!
Kevin

Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should clarify why I say about 6000 pounds loaded. Most trailers are designed to tow best with about 15% tounge weight. So, that is 900 pounds behind your rear bumper. You have about 1600 pounds of payload. That lease 700 pounds for yourself, fuel in the truck (6# * 30gal), your passengers, and everything you put in the cab and bed (firewood, bikes, etc). It is very easy to exceed the truck's GVWR of 7200 pounds in your case for a family camping trip. 8000 pounds, 1200 tounge weight, 400 pounds left for everything else. Hope your teenages are light.

Now F-150s behave quite well at GVWR. In fact, most people never know when they exceed it becasue the rear springs are designed to still have flex at GVWR, so there may only look like 4" of sag compared to empty with 6" left of travel.