Towing & Hauling

Ok I can't find it

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I can't find it

Looking for a trickle charger that will recharge my deep cycle battries as I tow. Hve two deep cycle battries which run my inside lights, winch, and power jack. I am looking for a way to recharge the battries as I tow. Can not locate this item. Any ideas?

Steve

Old 08-23-2008, 07:23 PM
The 7 pin plug on your truck is already set up.
Looking at the truck the pin in the 1 o'clock position is your auxillery charge line. It is limited to a miximum of 30 amps. If you tap into this you will be charging your trailer batteries when the truck is running. Split that 30 amps to 2 batteries and that is 15 amps a piece which is not enough to boil a deep cycle battery... heck even 30 amps won't.

Most people refer to a tickle charger as 1 to 2 amp charger. This would take a continous charge over a week to charge 2 depleted deep cycle batteries. A trickle charger is something that you plug into a 110v source to maintain your batteries when you are storing the trailer. These can be purchased at about anywhere from auto parts stores to walmart.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey

Most people refer to a tickle charger as 1 to 2 amp charger. This would take a continous charge over a week to charge 2 depleted deep cycle batteries. A trickle charger is something that you plug into a 110v source to maintain your batteries when you are storing the trailer. These can be purchased at about anywhere from auto parts stores to walmart.
Well the braking system has a trickle charging ting built into the battery box. You know the emergcy brake that you throm the little loop over the ball when you hook up so if the trailer somehow gets loose the brakes will stop it. I am going to try and tap into it if I cannot find another charger.

Steve

Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Sure you could jumper off the break-a-way charger. (That little cable needs it's own point of connection not atttached to the safety chains or tow ball to be leagal.)

The problem still remains that you are trying to fill a 55 gallon drum with an eye dropper.

A trickle charger on deep cycle batteries is designed to maintain the charge and be put on deep-cycle batteries during storage or non-use. Using a 1 amp charger from the break-a-way system will indeed charge your battery but it will take driving for about 6 hours to start to show even a noticable increase in charge in a deep-cycle battery. It would be best if you could drive for say 24-48 hours each time you use the battery to do this.

To top off the charge or re-charge your deep-cycle batteries 15-30 amps will do this
best and in only a few hours. That is why the 7 pin RV truck/trailer plugs like your truck comes with has the auxillery charge line.

I'm trying not to be rash.... just blunt.

Quick Reply: Ok I can't find it