Towing & Hauling

Most bang for the buck towing mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 06 F150 and pull a 23ft Redline with it (8999 GVWR full). I added an Edge, K&N intake, and flowmaster so far. I'm adding a Mag-Hytek rear diff cover this week (holds 5 quarts of diff oil!) and sending the Edge off to get Gryphoned in a week. I plan on getting super springs to eliminate sag and bounce. The greatest thing added on was the Edge. I get to monitor my temps. and see what kind of milage I'm getting (keep your water tank dry as long as you can, 8lbs = 1 gal.) I'm not carrying a full load at all, just a couple of dirt bikes, food, clothes, and fuel in on board tank for gen. and bikes. Yeah, sure it would be great to just run down and get a 250 but I don't have it in the budget so for now I think these mods will surfice when it comes to desert season.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In order of priority...

1. Gears
2. Gears
3. Gears

And if your budget doesn't allow for any of those, my next favorite mod following very close behind them would be gears!

All kidding aside, IMHO, you will see more seat-of-the-pants, real world, towing performance improvement from gears than any other mod you can do. Changing gears in my truck (after already towing with intake, exhaust, fans, tranny, etc, etc) gears was hands down the best performance improvement across the board!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After having several trailers I have to agree that the first thing you should do is get a Edge or Gryphon. I have an Edge and when I got it I was pulling an open car hauler. When pulling it made 2 mpg difference. The shifting was a bonus also. It shifted very firm. After updating the software several times it is still firm, but not as firm as at first.

Then I added 4:10 gears. That lost the 2 mpg's I had gained. It made a BIG difference is pulling though. By then I had went to a enclosed trailer and the thing would have been awful to pull without them.

Then the equalizer hitch. This has made pulling SOOOOO much safer. It's a pain to hitch, but worth it. Adding a power jack made it much easier though. Adding the hitch stopped most of the sagging of the rear of the truck.

This winter I hope to send my edge in and change it over to a Gryphon. I need a F250 PS and that would make things a lot safer and easier, but you got to work with what you got.

Steve

Quick Reply: Most bang for the buck towing mods?