Towing & Hauling

Two quads in one truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
ZSK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two quads in one truck

I'm trying to figure out how to put two quads in the back of my supercrew 5.5' bed. I'd like to avoid standing one up if possible. With the tailgate down I have just under 8' of space. I though of turning each sideways, or one sideways and using a couple boards under the last one. Rough dimensions on the quads are 4'x6'. Any ideas?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You can't put a gallon of milk in a two quart jug.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
you can buy a special rack that you mount 2 quads on perpindicular to the truck, side loading...

expensive and seems to me to be hard to load....

rent a trailer?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why? Do you have space to store this folding trailer?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 AM
This is the rack that would possibly work. Ultimate ATV Rack. It does not say if it will work with the 5.5' bed, but I am assuming with the tailgate down it would not be a problem. At $1400, an aluminum 2 place snowmobile trailer would be cheaper and work better. You would still have full use of the bed, not to mention the ease of hooking up to the trailer vs. loading this contraption.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I built a rack like the one that trackerbrent linked to. I have about $150 into it, lucky I got all the metal for the frame of the rack from the crates that Yamaha use to ship their wheelers in (lucky I am good friends with the dealer). I have pics of it loaded in the bed of my 04, but the pics on on my other computer which is having issues at the moment.

Too bad you aren't close to Wisconsin, I would just sell you my rack it is just sitting around taking up room. I have only used it once because I have since sold my travel trailer and now just use one of our trailers when hauling more than one wheeler.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
ZSK
Great concerns and questions brought up by everyone. The reasoning behind this that I'm going 1200 miles (Florida to Michigan) to deliver a quad to a buddy, but at the same time bringing mine along to do some riding. The harbour freight trailer has never impressed me and I wouldn't trust it to 70+ mph for the distance and I don't really have any use for a trailer at this point. For a bit more than the folding trailer I can pick up a used enclosed trailer. I drew a quick model to see how things would fit. I think a small frame under the rear quad would be pretty simple to make and easily dismantled for the return trip. These are both sport quads and around 400lbs each. Thoughts?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM
id be scared to drive that far with something like that. i would be looking behind me more than in front of me just to see if my quad was still back there...

Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Rent a trailer. Its always best to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ZSK
Looks like the blue ATV left rear tire is half on the tailgate, half off. Crazy.

If you are determined to do this, buy a sheet of 4x8 plywood 3/4inch thick.($30)
Lay it in the bed first.
The three down tires will hold the sheet in place (plus however else you strap it down).
This will give you a true eight foot floor to work with.
Then you won't one big bump away from losing your load.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM
yea check craigslist.. someones always got some kind of deal on some sort of utility trailer..

Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by ZSK
Great concerns and questions brought up by everyone. The reasoning behind this that I'm going 1200 miles (Florida to Michigan) to deliver a quad to a buddy, but at the same time bringing mine along to do some riding. The harbour freight trailer has never impressed me and I wouldn't trust it to 70+ mph for the distance and I don't really have any use for a trailer at this point. For a bit more than the folding trailer I can pick up a used enclosed trailer. I drew a quick model to see how things would fit. I think a small frame under the rear quad would be pretty simple to make and easily dismantled for the return trip. These are both sport quads and around 400lbs each. Thoughts?
Maybe your buddy has use for the trailer, and you can sell it to him/leave it with him so you only have to pull it one way.

17+ hours of driving is a long way to go with a precarious load balanced on your tailgate. Plus you are going to need one or two buddies to help you load and unload the two quads into the truck with your method.

Slow down to 65 mph and it will take you about another 80 minutes to get there with a cheap trailer. But it will take you alot less time to load & unload the quads, so I would not worry to much about the fact that you are not driving at 70 mph.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:58 PM
http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/atv...FQEoGgodBBIqnw

This is probably the best way. You can buy a trailer on craigs list for like 200 bucks though. Especially seeing as how this is a 1 time deal, go to u-haul and get a trailer for like 100 dollars and split it with your friend. my .02

Old 01-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by txd33rhunt3r
http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/atv...FQEoGgodBBIqnw

This is probably the best way. You can buy a trailer on craigs list for like 200 bucks though. Especially seeing as how this is a 1 time deal, go to u-haul and get a trailer for like 100 dollars and split it with your friend. my .02

I've seen the diamond back covers on a standard bed, and they look good, but all that weight is up very high, and they do seem expensive.

I agree on the U-haul rental. A 4' x 8' enclosed trailer might run $100 - $150 for a week, one way-haul. U-hauls prices can vary by where you are taking the trailer. For example, if you are bringing it one-way to an area where lots of people are leaving (like Detroit) it might be a much lower rate than if you are towing it from Detroit and leaving it in Florida.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
A 5x8 enclosed U-haul from Jacksonville to Detroit is $164.00, you have 6 days. A 5x9 ramp trailer is the same price.

Quick Reply: Two quads in one truck