Towing & Hauling

Air Lift Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
The airbags will just help stiffen up the rear end, and level it out with a load. It will help a little with the trailer. Besides, you already have them.
As you found out, the weight distribution hitch makes a huge difference.
Stiffer shocks or adjustable shocks will help you out too, as well as some sway control on the trailer. It seems obvious but be sure your tire pressure is up on the trailer and the truck. Most trailers come with crappy tires with weak sidewalls. I always thought it would make a huge difference to have a decent A/T tire.
Yep I recommend the Equalizer hitch. It was not that hard to install and made a BUNCH of difference. It was amazing the difference. BUT with this hitch I want to make sure and let you know you need a power jack. Cranking for this hitch will wear you out quick.

So looking at the picture above you guys think if I got some heavy duty shocks and call it good instead of installing the air bags.

I could then sell the bags and controller.

Steve

Last edited by fs_ar; 01-22-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 01-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Humm... how do you hook up the chains before lowering the trailer onto the truck?

This is what I do. I'm not saying this is the 'only' way to do it, just the way I was taught when I was a kid when my Dad & I picked up our first TT back in 1976...

Anyway, you drop the trailer on the WD hitch and latch it on the ball. This will (should) make the truck sag quite a bit. Then you crank up on the trailers tongue jack, lifting the weight of the tongue and continue cranking until you get the trucks rear end lifting up (that's why you need a #3500 tongue weight jack!).

Once the truck is all 'jacked up'. You put the WD bars on and set your links. My WD bars have 9 total chain links. I set them so that 3 are hanging loose. I still have to use the 'cheater bar' to snap them into place! Lower the jack and when it all settles, it's leveled out the rig...

Ideally, you want the WD bars to be parallel with the ground AND your rig leveled out when it's all ready to roll... There are hitch head angle adjustments you can usually make, if this does not occur..

When you unhitch, you should raise the jack above level and then un-snap the chains as well...

That's how I've been doing it and it's been a simple and easy deal...

MItch

You explained it alot better, but what you said was the point I was trying to get accross. Just not lowering your trailer all the way down before you snap the WD chains on. Sorry

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by fs_ar
I could then sell the bags and controller.

Steve

How much do you want for them?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Cooper443irty
How much do you want for them?
Have not thought about. Gotta look and see what I paid for them. They are still in the unopened boxes from the place I bought them. Sorry I took so long to reply. I been playing nursemaid to my wife. She went out in a ice storm and fell. Got a broken right arm. Ouch.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
yeah How much lol

Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 AM
just ordered me a set should have them fri just in time for my trip next weekend.. ill be towing a 26 foot enclosed trailer with a few toys for a weekend of quading and snowmobling... i think im more excited to tow the trailer then ride the toys.....

Old 02-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by fs_ar
Have not thought about. Gotta look and see what I paid for them. They are still in the unopened boxes from the place I bought them. Sorry I took so long to reply. I been playing nursemaid to my wife. She went out in a ice storm and fell. Got a broken right arm. Ouch.
Sorry I didn’t realizes yours is a 2001, probably wouldn’t fit too well.

Last edited by Cooper443irty; 02-08-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Lift Suspension