Towing & Hauling

Air Lift Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Lift Suspension

i am thinking of installing a Air Lift Suspension system on my 2004 Ford F150 4x4 to level out the back from a Front Leveling kit..would it also be good for a Hauling a camper around...if i haul a camper i am going to want to level the truck out with the air suspension...Will it cause any towing problems if i level the truck while hauling a camper..

Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Air Lift or Firestone air bags will do the trick easily for the camper.

You must keep at least 10psi in the bags to keep them from getting pinched.

The only delemma is if 10 psi is too much to correct only a 1-2" sag problem on an empty truck. Lots of times just airing up new bags to 10 psi will lift the rear of 1 ton trucks 3-4".
That would kinda defeat the whole leveling idea wouldn't it?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I just put them on my truck and they are great!

10psi dosen't raise it much if any.

Buy them.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
thanks guys...i am going to order one in a few weeks...still hurting a bit from the XMas....

Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Since we are talking about bags I have a question. I have a set of Firestone bags here that I bought when I got the enclosed trailer. Before installing the bags I installed a weight distribution hitch. That got rid of any sag I had.

My question is, what do the bags do for me? I am pulling a 24 ft enclosed trailer with about 6.5k total weight. It drives OK and stops OK but if this will make it safer I will install them. The dern thing scared me to death until I put the weight distribution hitch on though.

Steve

Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 AM
i was the same way man...i have the weight distribution hitch on my truck but the sag is still there..when i get to a certain speed..i can feel it start to sway..i haul a 32 foot travel trailer..i just bought a Reese sway control bar..hoping that will help me out with it a bit..lemme know if the bags help..i am looking for a set myself..

Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by fs_ar
Since we are talking about bags I have a question. I have a set of Firestone bags here that I bought when I got the enclosed trailer. Before installing the bags I installed a weight distribution hitch. That got rid of any sag I had.

My question is, what do the bags do for me? I am pulling a 24 ft enclosed trailer with about 6.5k total weight. It drives OK and stops OK but if this will make it safer I will install them. The dern thing scared me to death until I put the weight distribution hitch on though.

Steve
The airbags will just help stiffen up the rear end, and level it out with a load. It will help a little with the trailer. Besides, you already have them.
As you found out, the weight distribution hitch makes a huge difference.
Stiffer shocks or adjustable shocks will help you out too, as well as some sway control on the trailer. It seems obvious but be sure your tire pressure is up on the trailer and the truck. Most trailers come with crappy tires with weak sidewalls. I always thought it would make a huge difference to have a decent A/T tire.
The times I've pulled my mom's 28' travel trailer with her 04 expedition, it handled pretty well (weight distribution, sway control, prodigy and E rated tires on the expedition). Really the only sway I would get is passing semi's on the freeway. Actually not so much of a sway, just a quick pull but it straightened right out. When it does sway a bit try applying light brakes to the trailer only, it will straighten it up too.

Last edited by brianjwilson; 01-15-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I have a set of the Firestone bags that I had on my 05 SuperCrew 4x4. I used them when I pulled a toy hauler. I sold the trailer and have lifted the truck with blocks so the bags won't fit anymore. I will sell the kit for 100.00 plus shipping if anyone wants it.
I upgraded the kit so instead of two seperate valved to air up the bags, you only have one that airs up both bags.
Bags were on truck for about 6 months.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How are you setting your bars on your WD setup? How many links are under tension? A correct WD setup, 'should' level your rig out and distribute the tongue weight between ALL the axles on the rig...

Tell me your procedure for hitching up your TT and then I'll have a better idea of what your are (or aren't) doing...

Mitch

Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by BigDawg99
i was the same way man...i have the weight distribution hitch on my truck but the sag is still there..when i get to a certain speed..i can feel it start to sway..i haul a 32 foot travel trailer..i just bought a Reese sway control bar..hoping that will help me out with it a bit..lemme know if the bags help..i am looking for a set myself..
There shouldnt be any sag when the wd is hooked up (correctly). If you have the chain type like I have, try going to the next chain in the link. If you have a different type post some pics and maybe I can figure out what the problem is.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
for 100, does it include everything to hook up the bags? im interested in them if they do

Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
The airbags will just help stiffen up the rear end, and level it out with a load. It will help a little with the trailer. Besides, you already have them.
As you found out, the weight distribution hitch makes a huge difference.
Stiffer shocks or adjustable shocks will help you out too, as well as some sway control on the trailer. It seems obvious but be sure your tire pressure is up on the trailer and the truck. Most trailers come with crappy tires with weak sidewalls. I always thought it would make a huge difference to have a decent A/T tire.
The times I've pulled my mom's 28' travel trailer with her 04 expedition, it handled pretty well (weight distribution, sway control, prodigy and E rated tires on the expedition). Really the only sway I would get is passing semi's on the freeway. Actually not so much of a sway, just a quick pull but it straightened right out. When it does sway a bit try applying light brakes to the trailer only, it will straighten it up too.
I have a equalizer type hitch. It has sway bars built in. It does not sway at all and it does not sag after setting it up. I was just wondering if I needed to add the bags for extra safety.

I wish I had the money for a new Superduty, but will have to run this for a few more years I guess. Here is my truck with trailer hooked up and loaded ready to go to the races.

Last edited by fs_ar; 01-16-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the interest. The bags are sold.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
How are you setting your bars on your WD setup? How many links are under tension? A correct WD setup, 'should' level your rig out and distribute the tongue weight between ALL the axles on the rig...

Tell me your procedure for hitching up your TT and then I'll have a better idea of what your are (or aren't) doing...

Mitch
The way I was shown was to hook up the chains on the 4th link and snap into place before lowering the trailer onto the truck, then get truck and TT straight and hook up the sway bar, always remembering to remove the sway bar before you back up.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tjstrike
The way I was shown was to hook up the chains on the 4th link and snap into place before lowering the trailer onto the truck, then get truck and TT straight and hook up the sway bar, always remembering to remove the sway bar before you back up.
Humm... how do you hook up the chains before lowering the trailer onto the truck?

This is what I do. I'm not saying this is the 'only' way to do it, just the way I was taught when I was a kid when my Dad & I picked up our first TT back in 1976...

Anyway, you drop the trailer on the WD hitch and latch it on the ball. This will (should) make the truck sag quite a bit. Then you crank up on the trailers tongue jack, lifting the weight of the tongue and continue cranking until you get the trucks rear end lifting up (that's why you need a #3500 tongue weight jack!).

Once the truck is all 'jacked up'. You put the WD bars on and set your links. My WD bars have 9 total chain links. I set them so that 3 are hanging loose. I still have to use the 'cheater bar' to snap them into place! Lower the jack and when it all settles, it's leveled out the rig...

Ideally, you want the WD bars to be parallel with the ground AND your rig leveled out when it's all ready to roll... There are hitch head angle adjustments you can usually make, if this does not occur..

When you unhitch, you should raise the jack above level and then un-snap the chains as well...

That's how I've been doing it and it's been a simple and easy deal...

MItch

Quick Reply: Air Lift Suspension