Towing & Hauling

Another Towing Newb

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 AM
MDK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Towing Newb

I typically haul stuff in my F150's not tow, military moves most of my stuff so there was never a need. However I need to go pick up some furniture in TX, I live in VA so it's a comfortable 3 day trip. My 08 5.4L Supercab has the regular tow package deal they put on there if I remember correct. My stepdad has a Uhaul class 3 hitch which he recommended and he knows how to install but I've been hearing a lot of talk about the right ball+mount. How do I find that out and how easy are they to install? Uhaul wants $230 to get and install everything but my stepdad says we can do it over a 6 pack which I honestly believe since I'm not an idiot and most people say it takes 30min. Here is what I will be towing...

Uhaul 6X12 Trailer:
Volume: up to 396 cu. ft.
Max load: 2,600 lbs.
Gross vehicle weight: 4,400 lbs. max
Empty weight: 1,800 lbs.

Anything else I need to get info on? I looked around the forums and googled towing 101 but it all depends on your vehicle with them. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Do you ahve the wireing for trailer lights ?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
MDK
Originally Posted by c1t1d1
Do you ahve the wireing for trailer lights ?
Whatever came with the truck, wife and I are currently both deployed so I'm not there to physically tell you what wires but when we first bought it I did make sure it had some kind of towing pacakge which it did and the wiring is in the glovebox still. Is that what you're talking about?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM
U-Haul (and other trailer rental outfits?) use as much "universal" type fittings as possible.

I rented a 12 foot box trailer and they had a "screw-type" coupler on the trailer side that would handle any of the popular ball sizes (1 7/8 inch, 2 inch, etc.). All you need is a ball mounted on a "stinger" (the 2x2 inch bar that the ball is mounted to) to slip into your receiver hitch.

Also, if you have the tow package on your rig you will have both the 4 prong and the circular type wiring plug. The U-haul trailer i rented used the 4 prong plug for lights. The trailer had a surge brake system so no hook-up to the truck was required for that.

The wire harness in your glove box is there for doing a brake controller install under your dash. There is also, probably, a relay switch that gets plugged into your fuse box if you install a brake controller.

Unless you are going to tow a trailer that needs a brake controller you don't have to use that stuff.

Last edited by pacificnw; 02-08-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
It took me less than 20 mins to install the hitch on my F-250 by myself. Seeing as how he's just picking up a bit of furniture, I'm guessing the load will be under 3,000lbs. No need for brakes there. Sure, they'd be nice, but not necessary.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM
MDK
thanks for the tips guys

Quick Reply: Another Towing Newb