Towing & Hauling

Just Picked up my new trailer but I don't have lights on the inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Picked up my new trailer but I don't have lights on the inside

Ok fellas I will post some pics later on in the day but I'm trying to figure out why I don't have lights on the inside of my trailer. I'm using the 7 pin plug from the trailer to the truck and under the dash in the truck I used the tekonsha Ford Brake Control Harness to connect my P3. All of my outside lights work, tail, signal, brake,etc but my two ceiling lights will not come on. thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM
What type of trailer is it? Does it have a battery? Is there a panel/converter with a fuse burned out?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You have to have you're ignition key on for those lights to work.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mxracer49
x2

Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by 8iron
What type of trailer is it? Does it have a battery? Is there a panel/converter with a fuse burned out?
The trailer has a battery for the electric brakes (breakaway kit)

Originally Posted by mxracer49
The truck was started and running

Could it be a fuse in the truck? MX I have a few pics that I need to through up

Last edited by pmason718; 04-03-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Does your trailer pigtail have the "aux" wire connected. My interior lights operate off the aux wire, it is the orange (12V) one on your truck harness. And you must have your marker lamps on.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 AM
If it's a travel trailer it would have a breaker box on the inside somewhere or like mine where there's a switch on the wall by the door that has to be on before the center row of lights down the middle of the trailer will come on.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get a volt meter or tester and see if you have any juice coming out of the AUX pin on the truck. During the test, you need to have the truck ignition ON or the truck running.

If no juice, then there should be a separate fuse for that on the truck. If you get juice, then it's something with the trailer. If the battery is a little motor cycle one, then it's probably just for the break away for the trailer brakes..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Get a volt meter or tester and see if you have any juice coming out of the AUX pin on the truck. During the test, you need to have the truck ignition ON or the truck running.

If no juice, then there should be a separate fuse for that on the truck. If you get juice, then it's something with the trailer. If the battery is a little motor cycle one, then it's probably just for the break away for the trailer brakes..

Good luck!

Mitch
Thanks Mitch. I hate to sound stupid but I do have a test light (the light that illuminates when there is power) are you saying to ground it with the aligator clip and then stick the pointing end in the plug? I just want to make sure I dont get shock or damage the truck. Thanks again

Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Sometimes the interior light are on the same circuit as the running/park lights.

Try truning on the running lights and then trying the interior lights.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Not trying to be a smartass but did you check to see if the lights had bulbs in them. One of our trailers had the same problem when we bought it new and the bulbs were missing. I checked all the wiring, fuses, and connections before looking at the bulbs and to my surprise the bulbs weren't there. Pretty bad you pay $5000.00 for a trailer and it didn't have all the bulbs with it.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
are you saying to ground it with the aligator clip and then stick the pointing end in the plug?
Yep, that's all you do...

Checking the bulb is a good idea too!

Mitch

Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Blang
Not trying to be a smartass but did you check to see if the lights had bulbs in them. One of our trailers had the same problem when we bought it new and the bulbs were missing. I checked all the wiring, fuses, and connections before looking at the bulbs and to my surprise the bulbs weren't there. Pretty bad you pay $5000.00 for a trailer and it didn't have all the bulbs with it.
There are bulbs in the lights. This is what I have coming off the back of my truck. Which one of these pins should I attach the test light to. I don't see a Aux pin but it could just be me. Sorry that the pics are so big but I wanted you guys to see it better in detail. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Do you guys think that this has something to do with it. This fuse came in brake controller harness package that comes when you purchase your truck. I didn't think I need to install this since I bought a Ford Factory Harness from etrailer.com. Do you guys think that this can cause the issue?

THIS IS WHAT IS WRITTEN ON THIS FUSE

F0AB-14B192-AA
6182 A3

Old 04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
ok I just answered my own question. I installed the fuse that comes with the factory brake controller harness (comes sealed in the clear plastic bag), mine's was black. After I installed this I now have lights. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

P

Quick Reply: Just Picked up my new trailer but I don't have lights on the inside