Towing & Hauling

Please help with dewinterizing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with dewinterizing!

I'm a first time trailer owner, I picked it up early fall and it was winterized leaving me clueless...
What I need to know is what the valve positions should be for dewinterizing it.
I am thinking that the two horizontal valves should be open and the vertical one closed?
I snapped the picture after I fiddled with them and heard water gushing outside coming from the anode rod. I put that back in and forgot where I was at when I came back.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Correct. From this picture the top and bottom valves should be open (handles parallel to the water lines) and the bypass valve should be closed for normal use. Now, you mentioned water gushing out...were you filling it with water from the RV tank? Most people use pink RV antifreeze in all the water lines and some in the tank so there is no freezing aand breaking pipes. If you were to get antifreeze in the water heater it needs to be rinsed out many times. The heating anode will make any leftover pink stuff smell and taste awful for a long time.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
I would close the valves going to the hot water tank and take out the anode rode to drain any antifreeze might have got in it. Then open the bypass valve(vertical pipe). Hook the water supply and run water through the system turning on one faucet at a time Then when notice straight water your done. Install the anode rod and tighten. Turn on the valves going to hot water tank. Then turn bypass valve to off then you would notice water going into the hot water tank. your done!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys...
What I did was add some water to the fresh tank and then ran each faucet and the toilet until clear. I then hooked up to city water, ran each some more, then opened the water heater and ran each a bit more once again. I'm pretty sure that whatever went through the water heater was clear at the time.
I've heard about doing a rinse with a small amount of bleach and water, should I run that through the water heater or not?
Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I use 1/4 cup household bleach for 15 gallons of water...

I put this in the freshwater tank and let sit for 4, 6, 8 hours, overnight, whatever fits your schedule.

Then run your water from tank thru the plumbing in your TT...

All lines. faucets, toilet, water heater, everything using up all water from freshwater tank...

Let sit in lines and tanks for a few hours then fill freshwater tank with clean water (no more bleach). Run water through everything to thoroughly rinse out any bleach.

Your tanks will have diluted bleach water in them so you will want to dump that at some point, next camping trip or whatever.

System santized and ready for a season of camping.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks pacificnw, I'll keep your recipe handy...

Last edited by overlimit; 04-22-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 AM
a good rv site... www.rv.net