Towing & Hauling

payload question (Truck Camper)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
payload question (Truck Camper)

. Hope I am on the right thread... Hi everyone, great forum, lot's of information. I have a 1998 f150 supercab with the 4.6L, 8.8 axle and 4x4 and would like to know what max payload can be put on the Bed. I checked the GVWR in that door and it says 6000 lbs. then i checked my truck registration and it mentions net weight of 4300 pounds so I would assume 1700 would be the layload... I am looking at a truck camper of about 1600 pounds and that would be the average i see out there plus or minus 100 pounds or so... Dry weight. If I go over the GVWR by about 300 or so pounds would that be an issue? I am planning to add helper leaf springs to the back to help control the load. Anything else I should do? I would like to stay under the GVWr but it's hard to find a truck camper with what i need below that rating including myself, gear... Please help..... do I need to get HD kleaf springs, axle tires..... Thank you

Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 4300 lbs is without many options, fluids, etc. If the dry weight of the camper is 1600lbs, after you add people, luggage etc, I bet you will be close to 1000lbs over your real payload. The only way to find your real payload is weight the truck.
In truth you need an F250 or better for a 1600b camper.
Adding better springs, etc is not going to change the legal GVW of the truck.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I believe it will be more closer to the 300 pounds or so over the gvwr. Does Ford build a buffer in the gvwr specs? and will a 300 pound over the gvwr do that much in terms of damage? The 1600lbs would be including some luggage food... so just the 300 or so lbs over the gvwr. Thank you for anyone's help.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Depends....

You have a couple of things going against you right off the bat.... First of all is the 'weaker' 8.8 rear end.. Second, you have yourself an 11 year old truck with 11 year old suspension and everything else.

I feel your pain, as my truck only has a #6250 GVWR and I roll over the scales at some #5500 even before I load anything else besides what I haul around on a daily basis!

When I hitch up my TT and load up the bed, I don't have a recent figure, but I know I'm over my trucks GVWR by about #300 pounds... But, my 'over load' is being distributed over the trucks axles and even the trailers axles because I use a WD hitch setup.

With a #1600 'dry' weight camper in the bed, that thing is going to be pretty top heavy and probably feel like it's going to roll over on every corner... I see Super Duties with slide in campers going around corners and I don't know how they don't roll over! They do slow down more then I do when I'm towing my trailer too...

But, I only tow my trailer about 5-6 times a year for maybe 2-300 mile trips.. Some longer, some shorter... Yes, I'm technically over my GVWR, but my overload is not the same as your overload would be, so I can't say one way or the other how you'll do..

Sure, you won't simply break the moment you put it in the bed, but what's the long term effects? Especially if you keep it on for longer times then just your camping trip..

I'd be concerned more about the axle and the springs then anything else in your case... Getting overloads won't help the axle at all. It'll just keep you from sagging as bad..

Yes, I do have overloads on my rig, but that's just so I can haul stuff and not sag as much when I hitch up my trailer... I still have to go with the original weight ratings..

Some will say they do fine and have never had a problem and they are overweight 24/7... Other's will say they broke going out of their driveway when they were overloaded by 10 lbs! (I'm just using extreme examples to show that there is no 'yes' or 'no' answer to your question.... Other then I wouldn't do it if it was me.... But, that's just me....

Mitch

Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
The leafs could probably use some help since they do are 11 years old. WHat would you opinion be if the leaf springs are updated. I might even be able to find a 9.75 inch axle. would you say that might solve my issue. Another way to go is to go with a popup truck camper. There is one from Four Wheel campers that tops up at 1000 lbs with most options equipment and might reach 1200-1300lbs full with water, gear... Thx again for your help.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those popup campers are a better solution IMO if you must have a slide in camper...

I don't think beefing up the axle or the suspension is going to help because there will still be something that becomes the 'weak link'. I'm not saying it can't be done and there are several members that have full size slide in campers and are still rolling, but I just don't think the F150 is the right 'tool' for that job... You can use a butter knife as a screw driver when needed too, but it's not the best choice for a continuing occasion.

Have you hauled anything really heavy in your truck before? I've had a pallet of bricks in mine and I only went about a mile and a half and it was something I would not want to have driven on the hwy for any length of time, that's for sure...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mitch

Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No slide in campers for half ton trucks!

Take your truck to a scale. It doesn't weigh 4300 pounds. 5000 pounds is more likely. As mentioned, you've got an 11 year old truck with worn/aged equipment. There are many number of things that determine a truck's GVWR. Changing any of them does not increase capability, just improve how well the truck handles within its limits.

Why not just get a small RV trailer?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
I've seen some fairly large slide in campers on '98 and earlier F150's, but they were 2wd (lower vehicle weight and more load carrying than your 4x4), had airbags on the rear suspension and upgraded tires. Still probably overloaded by the manual, but the owners did not drive like maniacs and made it work for them.

As was pointed out earlier, your 4,300 lb weight estimate for your truck is way too low.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM
1/2 ton trucks really need to stick with the super light "pop up" type slide ins. Keep it short and light. For years dad was frustrated with his full-size slide in on a SRW 1-ton, so he upgraded to a dually. Don't put a full size slide-in on a half ton.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM
look at an import camper .. still be really top heavy

Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Thank you for all your feedback. If I can find a truck camper that will be light enough will think about it but will start looking at a 14/18 feet travel trailers. Thx again everyone. PS. The lightest truck camper I could find was the four wheel campers maxing out at 980 pounds with the options but not the water/ grey water weight... Thx again

Quick Reply: payload question (Truck Camper)