Towing & Hauling

bent frame rail a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bent frame rail a problem?

Hi guys...non-mechanic/engineer needs some advice!
My '97 got rear-ended...at first looked like bumper damage, now they same it's got a bent frame rail up by the cab (right side)...insurance won't cover repairs and autoshop doesn't want to deal with it because of *cough* 'extensive rust damage'---it was in upstate NY for 4 winters and is now in NC
I use the truck for pulling a 2-horse trailer and other stable chores---hay/shavings/feed, etc. wondering if this bent rail is going to be a problem??
I did get the truck aligned after the accident and am taking it to a hitch installation place to make sure hitch is OK
any further suggestions/recommendations ??
Thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Why wont insurance cover the damage?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit hunter
Why wont insurance cover the damage?
I'm betting they figure it's a total and she wants to keep it. '97 with extensive rust... not worth a lot of money and pretty much no insurance company is gonna pay more than what the truck is worth in poor condition, in order to fix it.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by trckgrl
Hi guys...non-mechanic/engineer needs some advice!
My '97 got rear-ended...at first looked like bumper damage, now they same it's got a bent frame rail up by the cab (right side)...insurance won't cover repairs and autoshop doesn't want to deal with it because of *cough* 'extensive rust damage'---it was in upstate NY for 4 winters and is now in NC
I use the truck for pulling a 2-horse trailer and other stable chores---hay/shavings/feed, etc. wondering if this bent rail is going to be a problem??
I did get the truck aligned after the accident and am taking it to a hitch installation place to make sure hitch is OK
any further suggestions/recommendations ??
Thanks!
I spent way too many years in body and frame work. My own '02 f-150 was rear ended in '03 in probably about the same way. Hit by an older Hyundai doing about 35 MPH. It totaled the Hyundai and did about $3500. damage to my truck. It bent the frame at the trailer hitch attachments on the frame and also at the back of the cab, but not bad. I would say, without seeing pictures of the truck, that if it is just a workhorse for you and it's not bad, don't worry about the bend at the back of the cab, it won't hurt anything. If it bent it at the trailer hitch (it most likely did), that can even be straightened with a 10 ton porto-power, it doesn't have to go on a frame rack just to make it a functional trailer tower.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Yep, the volvo sedan that hit me was totaled. My truck is listed as 'good' condition-- I would think that if the truck had such 'extensive rust damage' it would be considered at least fair condition Anyway insurance Co. won't cover cost of unbolting bed, pulling bumper, etc because of said rust damage...Just wonder what would've happened if this occurred in NY where they are used to dealing w/ rust!
Thanks for the tip--just need the truck to be able to do the work properly, not too concerned about cosmetics!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
If the frame is truly bent, you are going to have a problem with tire wear, whether towing or not. To get the fronts tracking properly, the rears may not be.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I thought insurance was suppose to either pay to have it fixed or write a check for the value and pull the insurance on it.

I am in upstate NY however I do not have any collision repair experience but I was under the impression now days if anything had frame damage it was totaled or got a new frame.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM
I would fight them on that, get some more estimates, make them rent you a car / truck until yours is fixed, and don't sign anything until all the work is complete. Insurance companies will do anything they can to keep from having to pay for your vehicle.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
#1 the truck is too rusty to repair but you're still gonna tow horses with it???

#2 are you going to keep it as a feed truck and not operate in on the highway???

#3 if you get into another accident the trucks crush zones are not going to respond the correct way due to the un corrected damage

#4 if the insurance needs to total it let 'em total it and get another truck that's been taken care of and not so rusty

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Insurance Co is arguing that what they paid would cover cost of repairs if truck did not have rust--autoshops are saying it'll be $500-2000+ more to make repairs because of rust. (Extra labor and replacing parts that would be too damaged to use for re-assembling bumper, re-bolting bed, etc) --spent almost an hour on the phone w/ adjuster--won't budge--trying to get a hold of my agent...
No talk of totaling truck, I drove it away from the accident and even used it to tow a couple days after the accident...after I had taken it for 2 estimates and no one noticed bent frame rail !
Truck was taken care of--washed almost weekly during the winters, but metal rusts, especially with as much salting/sanding as they have to do. I have friends up there with older trucks than mine and they still tow/haul...
Plan to buy a new/er truck as soon as I can, just can't right now

Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM
usually anything bent, such as parts attached to the frame, is enough for insurance to call some older trucks totaled. Depending on what else you have. A lot of rust helps that along. Refabing or replacing makes everythng difficult. So their thinking of fixing it?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:04 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Work a deal with the adjuster - get them to cut you a check directly, then go find someone who will do what's mechanically needed and don't sweat the cosmetics.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Work a deal with the adjuster - get them to cut you a check directly, then go find someone who will do what's mechanically needed and don't sweat the cosmetics.
from what the OP said it was the rust interfering with the mechanical part of the repairs

Quick Reply: bent frame rail a problem?