Towing & Hauling

electric fan for tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric fan for tranny cooler

I am looking at putting an electric fan on my tranny cooler for my '06 F150.

Either Summit or Jegs has a thermostat controller that has barb fittings that can be put inline in the rubber hose going to the cooler. It comes on at 185F and off at 170F. They have 3/8" or 1/2" barbs. Anyone know which would be correct?

The cooler is 5" tall and either Derale or Perma-Cool (can't remember which) has a 5" puller. Thinking about using that one.

Has anyone done this? If so, how did it work out?

Don't really want to spring the cash for a new cooler with a fan when my cooler is fine. Plus am working on a budget.

Did a search and found a post from 2000, but didn't have much info on how it worked out, and the links for the post were dead. Plus it was for a F250.

Towing is usually a 17ft aluminum Bass Tracker, or my 1941 Model B John Deere.

Recently got an Edge Evolution but haven't towed since I got it. Temps are pretty good without anything behind it.

Just looking for some extra insurance when I am towing.

Advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unless you're seeing temps over 220* all the time, I wouldn't worry about it. Temps in the 180*-195* range would be 'normal' IMO. My temps get that high while towing my TT in the summer up and over the Cascades and all I have is the stock cooler and it's a lot smaller then the one on your '06. Most of the time, it's < 180* while towing. Running empty, it'll get to about 180* in stop and go traffic.

Your Edge is taking the temp from inside the trans, so it should be a little less then mine, as I'm taking the temp from the output line of the trans as it enters the rad cooler.

Mitch

Old 07-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree with mitch. Unless you're going to be pulling all of the time and working the transmission very hard then you won't need the fan. It's not worth spending the extra money, especially if you are working on a budget.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
My temps get that high while towing my TT in the summer up and over the Cascades and all I have is the stock cooler and it's a lot smaller then the one on your '06. Most of the time, it's < 180* while towing.

Mitch
Mitch tell us more about pulling the Cascades? What gear are you in? What grade is it? For how long? And the air temp?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's our I-90 going East/West. Elevations get to as much as around 4000' if I recall.... The grades are long and there are several of them. Most around a 5% I'd say.

I'm in 2nd holding my own going around 50 mph pulling around 3500 rpms.. I can go faster if I wanted, but no need really. I pass the semis going up the hill and people in cars pass me.. Some semis do too! No big deal.

Temps get in the 90's at times and I've pulled it at those temps. My truck temps will go up to 210* on those pulls, but nothing alarming about that to me.. They always go back down on the down side and settle in at 195* or lower.

Hope that helps some!

Mitch

Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Cooler Fan

I was also concerned about temps on long pulls towing my travel trailer. I installed a much larger cooler and a fan from a motorcycle radiator that I found on eBay for around $30. As long as you are able to maintain some speed, the ram air is all that is needed. If you are stuck behind some slow moving vehicle on a steep grade, say 10 or 15 mph, then the fan will help. If you have to do excessive backing a fan helps. I have had mine for 3 years and I have used it 2 or three times. Again, it is of little to no help at normal road speeds. If I had to do it over, I probably would not install the fan. I have pulled Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado (about 11,000 ft) twice and as Mitch says, just take it easy. I just have an on-off switch and a LED fan on indicator by my temp gauge.

Last edited by model a; 08-15-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: electric fan for tranny cooler