Towing & Hauling

Ride-rite or other air bags for FX2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride-rite or other air bags for FX2

I have been doing some searching here and other places online. I have been looking for an air bag system for the rear for towing my 32' TT. I have a WD system on there and it rides pretty good with it, but it still sags about 1.5" or so (haven't measured.)

All of the systems I have looked at say they are not for the FX2. I sent Firestone an email today asking them if they had a kit for the FX2 and they said no. What's the difference and why wouldn't it work on mine? I have seen some people on here with the Ride-Rite system on theirs. Is there a simple mod to do to make it fit?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Any of the aftermarket air suspension mods should fit an FX2
There is no difference in suspension difference as far as I know.
People are hasitant to sell you the bags becase they don't know if they will fit.

I had to look up the specs as well.

The only mods for making an FX2 are:
-- a dark billet grille
-- a sporty, deep front valance
-- clear headlights paired with platinum bezels
-- monochromatic paint scheme that blends in the bumper, side mirrors, and door handles with the rest of the truck
-- chrome exhaust tip
-- 18 inch wheels
-- black captain chairs with red stitching, available in clothe or in leather
-- flow-through center console with floor shifter

Of course check your tires for load ratings. As you get into lo-pro 18" and bigger they usually are only "P" rated tires and you may easily exceed your tire rating putting on a big trailer. The FX2 only has 18 & 20 inch tire options.

Is there a rear sway bar that might be in the way?
Anything on top of the rear springs or on top of the axle or just inside the the spring perch on the axle?

Airlift specificly mentions the FX2 in the look up section:
Part#: 59544

You can look it up here:
http://www.airliftcompany.com/online_catalog.html

Summit racing has it for $189
Performance Part has it for $194
JC Whitney has it for $209
Amazon is $216
onestoptruckshop is $188

Anything else?

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 07-23-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks!! I found the kits at Summit and like the fact that it mentions the FX2. Will probably go with the Airlift system for that reason.

Just went and looked at the load rating on the tires and they are 2,271 pounds. Didn't see a letter code for it. Tongue weight for the trailer is 545 pounds dry so I should be good.

I appreciate the feedback!

Chris

Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

i think the FX2 has a 1" block on the rear axle doesnt it? i know the 4x4 has a 2" and the 4x2 has nothing. Firestone has a bracket for the 4x4 and the 4x2 doesnt need one. maybe they dont make a smaller bracket for the FX2's 1" block. that would be my guess.

now the Airlifts mount differently than the Firestones so that is maybe why Airlifts will work on the FX2.

by the way, which one is better? i know the Airlifts are cheaper, but dont you get what you pay for? i need a set for the same reason and dont know which one to go with!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 AM
After installing many of both, I wouldn't say one is any better than the other.
The big difference I have seen is in the on board compressors set ups.
Firestone is superior, but most people don't adjust them often enough to justify the higher priced Firestone unit costing almost double.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Could that 1" block be removed so that its just like a standard 4x2?

If the airlifts are pretty comaprable, I found a full set up shipped from Summit for $411. I may just go with that one.

Thanks again!
Chris

Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_H
Could that 1" block be removed so that its just like a standard 4x2?

If the airlifts are pretty comaprable, I found a full set up shipped from Summit for $411. I may just go with that one.

Thanks again!
Chris
check here:http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...LookupType=YMM

this is the best price i have found with Free shipping!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Just found the same kit from that site on Amazon for $311 shipped. That's with the single gauge where both sides fill up at the same time, but I don't think I will ever have a need to fill them seperately. Just ordered them and we'll see how it goes when they get here!

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

Old 07-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_H
Just found the same kit from that site on Amazon for $311 shipped. That's with the single gauge where both sides fill up at the same time, but I don't think I will ever have a need to fill them seperately. Just ordered them and we'll see how it goes when they get here!

Thanks for the replies.

Chris
i have heard that you want them seperate. if you tie them in together, if you ever have sway, the air can just go between bags and induce more sway. it is more stable to have each on its own so the pressure stays the same and firm. im just gonna buy a 12v pump to keep in the truck so i can use it to check TT tires as well b4 leaving the campgrounds. good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by labman1014
i have heard that you want them seperate. if you tie them in together, if you ever have sway, the air can just go between bags and induce more sway. it is more stable to have each on its own so the pressure stays the same and firm. im just gonna buy a 12v pump to keep in the truck so i can use it to check TT tires as well b4 leaving the campgrounds. good luck and let me know how it turns out.
If this was true, don't you think factory air suspension vehicles like Lincoln and Ford SUV's would seperate the system into individual corners?
They don't. Some vehicles are seprated front to back for ride height, but not side to side.

Heck, even tractor trailers don't separate side to side on their truck and trailer air suspension.

Here's the deal.
There is NO need to seperate the right and left side for pressure unless it just increases the ease of installation.

If you were hauling say a couple lead ingots and you could only load them on one side of the truck, then I would say, go for it. Level that load with air. But the truth is trailers, bed mounted or bumper pull are loaded to the vehicle center line by thier hitches making air adjustment side to side not needed.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
If this was true, don't you think factory air suspension vehicles like Lincoln and Ford SUV's would seperate the system into individual corners?
They don't. Some vehicles are seprated front to back for ride height, but not side to side.

Heck, even tractor trailers don't separate side to side on their truck and trailer air suspension.

Here's the deal.
There is NO need to seperate the right and left side for pressure unless it just increases the ease of installation.

If you were hauling say a couple lead ingots and you could only load them on one side of the truck, then I would say, go for it. Level that load with air. But the truth is trailers, bed mounted or bumper pull are loaded to the vehicle center line by thier hitches making air adjustment side to side not needed.
ok that makes sense. that was just what i heard. i didnt know others were factory like that!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I have to admit, install is more of a PITA than I figured. Everywhere I read they say 45 minutes to an hour. I must be an idiot because 2 hours into it I am still fighting with the drivers side. I removed the spare tire for extra room, but its still a pain. The bag is mounted with all the hardware but it looks like its leaning street side. I don't have any adjustment room left, so is that normal? They tell you in the instructions to leave the bottom mounting bolt loose so that you can make adjustments as needed, the problem is I can't get a wrench in there to tighten it now. What gives?

Chris

Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Let's see a pic of where you are having problems

Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Sorry, got so tied up with a million things yesterday that I never posted back the results. I ended up calling tech support and spoke with a guy by the name of Dave. Explained to him what was going on and offered to send him pictures. He looked them over, took the pictures over to the design department and they said it looked right.

I continued on with the install and mounted the gauge in the coin holder location and the switch and air release right below them. I will take the TT out in the next few weeks for a shake down run before our trip in Oct.

Picture of the gauge with air release and compressor switch:

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by Chris_H; 08-11-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that gauge fits perfect, what kit did that come with?

Quick Reply: Ride-rite or other air bags for FX2