Towing & Hauling

Towing Limits

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Limits

I need help from all you towing gurus. My fiancee and I are trying to decide on our first TT and am having some trouble figuring out the weight and size restrictions for my truck (listed below).

2002 F-150 FX4 Subercab
5.4L V8 106,000 miles
Auto trans w/ 3.55 gears
Tow package

I know that I need to keep the gross weight under 6k lbs but what about length? We have a Jayco 10ud pop-up that the truck tows just fine but I don't know how a 25ft+ TT will tow (I know a little bit about wt/dist hitches and swaybars). The TT that we had our eyes on was the KZ Sportsmen 272BH. With a dry weight of around 4500 lbs, this trailer shouldn't put me over the GCVWR but I'm not sure about the 29 ft length.

Sorry for the lengthy post but we are looking to travel around 2,000 miles this January for the honeymoon and the last thing I want is a "Honey, I told you so" look when we are stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
7700lbs towing, our trucks are real happy in the 6 range. I wouldn't get anything bigger then a 25 or 26TT. I got a 21 foot toy box and it's not hard to overload my truck. But we are throwing 3 quads in it. You gotta add up all your other stuff, like water 8 pounds a gal, propan, food, tools, fire wood, gas, bbq, chairs, plus all the crap the old lady takes. It adds up fast. Sure you can get a 6k trailer, but who is gonna take all the other stuff?

Hope that helps

Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Every opinion helps and is most appreciated.

I found a TT that I think suits our needs and stays within the limits of my truck, now I've just got to find it on sale. These are the specs on the Ameri-lite 24RK

Length: 27'3"
Dry weight: 4,241
Hitch weight: 490
Gross weight: tad over 7,000

The heaviest thing I've towed was a CJ7 with parts, total weight including trailer was probably somewhere around 6,000lbs and the truck pulled it with no problems. Of course that was only about 100 miles.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Is this the unit you are looking for?
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/design/...floorplan=24RK

Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 PM
That's the one. Now I just need to find it for that price in Texas. Thanks for the heads up on RVW, if I lived closer I would have to go by and check them out.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by sullju
That's the one. Now I just need to find it for that price in Texas. Thanks for the heads up on RVW, if I lived closer I would have to go by and check them out.
Would be along trip for sure...What I did was contact RVW for a quote in writing and took it to my local dealers as a bargaining tool. I wasn't rubbing it in their face but asking if they could compete with that price. Just a thought.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by 8iron
Would be along trip for sure...What I did was contact RVW for a quote in writing and took it to my local dealers as a bargaining tool. I wasn't rubbing it in their face but asking if they could compete with that price. Just a thought.
I'll have to give that a shot. I checked the mileage to RVW and it's around 2000 miles round trip. If our local dealer can't compete, me and the Mrs. might have to take a trip up there.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Towing a travel trailer with an F150

I have an '07, crew cab 5.4 with tow package, pulls my 28' Aljo just fine, I also usually haul a 250 Suzuki street bike when I travel. Trailer is 6500 lb dry, the owner's manual says that my truck is good for 9400 lb towing weight. Steep hills are a bit slow going but everything else is no problem. Before getting this truck, I had a '99 supercab 5.4. I've pulled my trailer all over the country with it, no problems with it either. I do have a weight distributing hitch, you've got to have one with a trailer that big even with a bigger truck. We're planning on pulling out for a coast to coast trip later this month. When I was looking at the owner's manual the other day, I noticed that the 4x4 has a little lower rating (9100 lb). I chose the F150 instead of something bigger because my truck is my daily driver and I usually only use it for towing about 10% of the time (a little more this year) so a diesel or V10 just wouldn't be practical for me. I thought about getting a Tundra when I bought this '07 but after driving one, I wasn't willing to give up the great ride of my f150 to get the extra HP & towing capacity of the Tundra.

Quick Reply: Towing Limits