Towing & Hauling

Travel Trailer Experience w/ 2009-2010 F-150 Screws?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
seats in the superduty in the back are 10x better. there is only 1" of difference between the F-150 and superduty yet you don't sit on the floor of the superduty like you do the F-150. You also get a much wider seat and a wider cab area around your head. CU feet to CU feet I'm sure the superduty is bigger and as smokewagon said, once you own a superduty there is no other cab out there.
My dad has two F350 crew cabs and I don't think the seats are any better than my F150.....but that's just me. I don't have a wide *** so I guess seat width isn't that important to me. I wouldn't be using the cab size as the determining factor. I don't know if you have been in an '09 F150 but the interior is huge. I couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars more for a superduty to only pull a 5000lb trailer. Either way as long as it's a Ford you can't go wrong.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by APT
Since 2010 models have really only been on dealer lots for a month and Ford and not advertised this extra 475/500 pounds of GVWR, I suspect you'll get few or no responses for 2010 Max tow owners. However, plenty of people are happily towing (probably overloaded) 09 F-150's with the 6-spd as well as Expeditions back a couple years with the same combo. Most are pleased with acceleration, but there have been a few reports of trans hunting using tow/haul mode and you can only lock it in 3rd or 4th gear IIRC, skipping out of the top 3 or 2 gears. I got a picture of a 5.5' bed Platinum Screw 4x4 with actual door sticker payload of 1592 pounds, which is plenty

The 6-spd gear spacing is great. If you thought your old F-150 was good enough, the 6-spd will feel much better, although obviously not as good as your PSD.

Are you kampfirekid W rv.net?
I have had my 2010 Screw 4x4 with max trailer tow since August 2nd and I have pulled my 7k camper several times since then. I can tell you that the truck feels much more stable and happy pulling the camper than my 04 did. The six speed with the towhaul button on does seem to stay in the lower gears for a little bit longer than I would think necessary, but if you get out of the fuel and then back into it, the tranny seems to get the hint that you want to upshift and it does. I dont use this truck as my daily driver, because I work inside a plant and dont want it nasty, but I would not have any problem at all driving my truck everyday, even with the trailer hooked up. You will be really impressed with the ride quality difference between the 04-08 and the 09-10's. I am going camping this weekend and I will snap a couple of pics to show you what I have... Hope this helps.....

Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by ferguson41
I have had my 2010 Screw 4x4 with max trailer tow since August 2nd and I have pulled my 7k camper several times since then. I can tell you that the truck feels much more stable and happy pulling the camper than my 04 did. The six speed with the towhaul button on does seem to stay in the lower gears for a little bit longer than I would think necessary, but if you get out of the fuel and then back into it, the tranny seems to get the hint that you want to upshift and it does. I dont use this truck as my daily driver, because I work inside a plant and dont want it nasty, but I would not have any problem at all driving my truck everyday, even with the trailer hooked up. You will be really impressed with the ride quality difference between the 04-08 and the 09-10's. I am going camping this weekend and I will snap a couple of pics to show you what I have... Hope this helps.....
Thanks for the input... very valuable from an actual user. All of my Superduties run in tow/haul the same way. Sometimes they seem to hold out of overdrive for such a long time and at a speed over 60mph that it seems unrealistic. But, then, it shifts out and all is well. I am used to the shifting of the T/H mode, and love it for towing. I am sure the F-150 is the same. My current 6.4L Stroke seems less likely to run high rpm's before shifting into the final overdrive (than mu 6.0L's), but each gear is pushed to a higher rpm a bit before shifting as it should be. I love it. The best is the engine braking. Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM
hi all What is an "AAL"? I'm very interested in your experience ab46501. I have an '05 King Ranch and a family of four and am currently pulling a TT with a UVW of 4270 lbs and my GCW is 13,000. I'm thinking of going to a larger trailer along the lines of what you have but up until I found this thread I was thinking I was over reaching the limits of my truck. Any advice for the new kid on the block?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Air assited leveling would be my guess. Trucking Tom, I have an 05 Lariat 4x4 3.73 gears and pull a 27' TT at 8000lbs loaded down.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:55 PM
AAL means add a leaf as in add an additional leaf spring to the rear. I have seen some trucks with 3 leaf springs from the factory and some like my FX4 having 4 leaf springs. Hope this helps you some

Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
So based on what I read here, I'm having a difficult time deciding here! Today I sold my 2000 F-250 V-10. I used it to tow the 6000 lb 23 ft Hybrid trailer. I really liked that truck, but felt it was time to change it. It only had 35k miles since I just used it for towing. It was beginning to look like a ten year old truck though.

But now I'm looking at a new F-150. Platinum or Lariat. Max tow 6 1/2 bed 4X4. The stated tow figures from Ford seem to keep me in the range I need, but now I keep thinking once you go superduty you can't go back!

My big concern is the load range of the tires. The Platinum comes with those 20 inch wheels. Not a whole lot of sidewall to cope with. Even the 18's dont have a whole lot of sidewall. Some of the places we camped at required some off-road travel with the trailer on some not too good roads. I went to the local tire store with the factory tire specs, and they are apparently adequate for the stated towing capacity, but just barely. There is no margin on them. My F-250 had 16 inch wheels and almost 8 inches of sidewall on the tires.

Too bad I can't form a coherent question here. My mind is on overload trying to figure this stuff out!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The amount of sidewall has little to do with the load rating. The 20" tires have a higher load rating than the half the rear axle as well as the truck's GVWR. Towing 6000 pounds with even 900 pounds on the tongue should keep just about any 2010 max tow package equipped F-150 under all it's ratings. With any truck you buy, you could always change the tires is you do not like them. I arranged to replace my brand new truck's tires (~250 miles) in 2003 when I got mine. Tire dealer gave me a $300 credit towards new ones. Just make sure to do this as soon as possible as the used tire value drops quickly with even 1000 miles.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Can some explain E fans to me or why you would want them

Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by APT
The amount of sidewall has little to do with the load rating. The 20" tires have a higher load rating than the half the rear axle as well as the truck's GVWR. Towing 6000 pounds with even 900 pounds on the tongue should keep just about any 2010 max tow package equipped F-150 under all it's ratings. With any truck you buy, you could always change the tires is you do not like them. I arranged to replace my brand new truck's tires (~250 miles) in 2003 when I got mine. Tire dealer gave me a $300 credit towards new ones. Just make sure to do this as soon as possible as the used tire value drops quickly with even 1000 miles.
I did not phrase my thoughts at all clearly. Why does the Raptor come with such small wheels? Probably to cope with impact.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Can some explain E fans to me or why you would want them

Electric fans for extra cooling due to extra heat on the motor and trans. while towing.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM
APT
Raptor is not a towing machine. Generally, the smallest wheels that clear the brakes will yield the best performance.

The OEM fan runs off the accessory belt, which takes away power from the engine all the time. Electric fans are more efficient so, when running use less power which comes from the alternator which is also uses the accessory belt for power. Electric fans help with engine power even more because they don't always run, only when needed. Ford's decision to use what they use is because it is more reliable.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by APT
Raptor is not a towing machine. Generally, the smallest wheels that clear the brakes will yield the best performance.

The OEM fan runs off the accessory belt, which takes away power from the engine all the time. Electric fans are more efficient so, when running use less power which comes from the alternator which is also uses the accessory belt for power. Electric fans help with engine power even more because they don't always run, only when needed. Ford's decision to use what they use is because it is more reliable.
Oh yea. Now I understand. That's why the Raptor comes with the towing package, and you'll never hit a pothole with 20 inch wheels and 55 series tires.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:03 PM
APT
Just because a vehicle comes with a "towing package" does not mean it is configured to tow the max for the platform. Raptor is designed for off roading, at high speeds first, not towing.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hiddenmickey
Oh yea. Now I understand. That's why the Raptor comes with the towing package, and you'll never hit a pothole with 20 inch wheels and 55 series tires.
Slow down a little. There are several guys on here who have done this on a daily basis year after year and they know what they are talking about.

Quick Reply: Travel Trailer Experience w/ 2009-2010 F-150 Screws?