Towing & Hauling

max tow or tow package whats different?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question max tow or tow package whats different?

OK like the title ask whats the difference from max tow to and just a tow package they both have same brake size, both have the same leaf springs,and number of springs only max two has a brake controller, dose max tow have a bigger cooler(trans and water)? so if the only reason the national ins. safety board rates a truck is how it stops said weight not how it moves it or handles the load. am i right or wrong? if thats right and i am not just full of it then what give the max tow its max capacity? more fluid capacity? or a break controller?

now with that if i up grade the cooling and add the break controller would that be all i have to do to my truck to get max tow? or am i just on crack? what would one have to do to get it

Any help or input is welcome!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It looks like it raises the trucks GVWR to between #7500 and #7700 depending on cab/drivetrain/wheelbase config. I don't know about any additional cooling capacities..

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...tions/payload/

Still need to take those 'tow ratings' and 'payload ratings' with a grain of salt however.... If you option out your truck and load it to the *****, don't expect to be able to just hitch up to that #9000 trailer and call it good!

Mitch

Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Max Tow Specifics

The Ford Website lists the The Max Tow Package as containing:

Upgraded rear bumper
Class IV trailer hitch receiver
7-pin wiring harness
Upgraded radiator
Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
Upgraded rear springs
Trailer Brake Controller
Heavy Duty Front Bushings
20:1 Steering Gear

Trailer Tow Mirrors

If you log onto the Ford site and select "Build Your Own" it will show you what is in each package.

Hopefully this helps.

Dave

Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will get no less than 300 pounds more payload with max tow than without. In a Supercab, it might me 800 pounds more. Payload is almost always the limitation for determining what half ton trucks can tow.

10k pound travel trailer with 15% tongue weight is 1500 pounds. Most crew cab half tons do not have that much payload, and the truck still needs to hold the people.

Max tow also includes 3.73 axle ratio for all the non-FX4 trucks.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by APT
You will get no less than 300 pounds more payload with max tow than without. In a Supercab, it might me 800 pounds more. Payload is almost always the limitation for determining what half ton trucks can tow.

10k pound travel trailer with 15% tongue weight is 1500 pounds. Most crew cab half tons do not have that much payload, and the truck still needs to hold the people.

Max tow also includes 3.73 axle ratio for all the non-FX4 trucks.
With the max tow package a 2010 FX4 SCREW with 6.5 foot bed has a payload capacity of 1,656 lbs (so the sticker says).

I got the max tow package so I would feel comfortable towing a 7,500 lb travel trailer. So far, so good. Uploaded a report of my first long haul experience towing the trailer a few days ago.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Quick questions, was your tow with a bumper tow or a fifth wheel setup? and what diff between 3.55 and 3.73? thanks.

Quick Reply: max tow or tow package whats different?