Towing & Hauling

WD Hitch advice and sources

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WD Hitch advice and sources

I am looking for a Weight Distributing hitch for my new trailer. It is a 7000# GVW trailer so the hitch does not have to be super heavy duty. I have looked around on the web as hitch sites and there are so may different hitches available it is mind boggling at best.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on what is a good quality hitch for my application and a reputable distributor.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Dave

Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two most recommended are Equal-i-zer and Reese Straight Line. Those are WD with sway control, which is useful for high sided trailers, like cargo and RVs. Those are the weight ratings I recommend, up to 1000 pounds tongue. Those are good prices too. Also check out PPL Motorhomes if they are close to you in TX. Great prices! PPL, RVW, Etrailer are all good places to do business with and have good prices.

I recommend friction sway for cargo trailers, though. People tend to vary the weight a lot more and the Reese dual cam/straight line takes a little more time to adjust. Not something most people will do every time they load a cargo trailer. The Reese SC system would be better than their dual cam for this app.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
difference btwn round bar and torsion bars

APT,

thanks for the info.

I have been researching the WD hitches you recommended as well as what is available on the net and noticed that there are Round Bar and Torsion Bar versions of the hitches. Can you enlighten me on the pros / cons of the two.

Thanks again,
Dave

Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Trunnion style is good for when you have a low trailer frame and need the extra ground clearance. Round bar works best when you have lots of room for clearance.

I have a standard EAZ-LIFT round bar setup for my travel trailer. It's only a #5000 GVWR trailer, but I opted for the #1000 bars.. The distance from the ground to where my trailer is level on the ball is 18".

Here is what it looks like all hitched up.

I don't use any other 'sway' devices for this setup and it's never swayed in the 8 years I've towed it.... I've had a couple of evasive maneuvers too, and it's always tracked right behind me...

Each setup IS different, so you may very well need additional 'sway' control, but you won't really know until you tow it!

This setup cost me $250 8 years ago and it was part of the deal when I bought the trailer, so they probably cost more now...

Mitch

Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading that round bar generally works better for top mounted tongues and trunion for bottom mounted tongues. I have trunion Reese Dual Cam on my top mounted tongue and been fine. Not sure there is enough difference for most people.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM
This is a Equalizer 1200/12000 used to tow our 7300 lb (loaded weight) 810 lb tongue weight Outback 300BH. It has built in sway control. Excellent hitch. RVWholesalers has the cheapest price on these.

Last edited by cdnbayside; 11-19-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by cdnbayside
This is a Equalizer 1200/12000 used to tow our 7300 lb (loaded weight) 810 lb tongue weight Outback 300BH. It has built in sway control. Excellent hitch. RVWholesalers has the cheapest price on these.
X2

Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info. With X-mas and everything else my search has slowed down but i am still looking and will buy in the spring.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Used?

I would check Craigs List and Ad Sack from time to time if you have some time before you are going to buy. If you buy a trunnion type be sure to check for wear.

Quick Reply: WD Hitch advice and sources