Towing & Hauling

AirLift Ride Control Bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirLift Ride Control Bags

I posted this on the Suspension forum, but it may do better here:

Anybody using these bags? I've seen folks post using AirLift. I'm looking for input on the overall quality of the product. I don't generally tow heavy, just need enough helf to level up pulling boats and utility trailers.

Info on their compressor kits would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,

David

Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 AM
They are of equal quality to the Firestone Bags. We install more of the Airlift because of the cheaper price.

On the on board compressor the Airlift is significantly cheaper in price and quality. When you consider you rarely adjust your air pressure, the Airlift usually wins out there too. The install on the on board compressor is a PITA on the newer vehicles. Trying to get a good place to put the switch and pressure gauge, where you can access to install it is tough. If I had them in my personal vehicle I would NOT install the on board compressor.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the advice and input. Especially from someone who uses them alot. Appreciate that. If I did the on-board it'd be a later addition. Current economics require baby steps. LOL!!!

Thanks,

David

Old 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM
I have the firestone ride right bags have had them for over 2 and a half years and no problem. i have the compressor on mine i mounted the compressor infront of the air intake with my own mout that i made. The controls and gauge i installed where the coin holder was at. they make wireless controls now for these pumps which would make it alot easier

Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the report and advise.

David

Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by jhartley
I have the firestone ride right bags have had them for over 2 and a half years and no problem.
had mine for 3.5 years and only had one problem and that was some *** left a mess load of razor wire in the road so when i ran it over it got tangled in the air line and riped it off the bag side. so some new 1/4 inch air line and back in biz!
as for a air compressor i used a 10 gallon tank i would fill up at service station

Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Suspended
I don't have the compressor, but I love my Firestone airbags. They were a PITA to install though due to my aftermarket exuast and lift blocks.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
I don't have the compressor, but I love my Firestone airbags. They were a PITA to install though due to my aftermarket exuast and lift blocks.
That's one reason I'm looking at the AirLift bags. Looks like they're gonna mount directly to the leaf springs and not have to deal with the plate that bears on the axle tube. Should eliminate the lift block issue. I should have the new 3" blocks in next weekend.

Thanks guys,

David

Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I have them on my leveled F150. I did not install them myself as I wanted a warranty on the installation. I have the compressor also.
I inflate them regularly to 65psi when hauling a load to keep the truck level. When the bed is empty, I keep them at about 20psi for ride quality.
The only issue I've noticed is during a change to cooler weather, the lines may leak and empty out overnight, which causes the compressor to cycle attempting to re-inflate the bags. It's never killed my battery, just makes a strange sound occasionally.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by ssurfer321
I have them on my leveled F150. I did not install them myself as I wanted a warranty on the installation. I have the compressor also.
I inflate them regularly to 65psi when hauling a load to keep the truck level. When the bed is empty, I keep them at about 20psi for ride quality.
The only issue I've noticed is during a change to cooler weather, the lines may leak and empty out overnight, which causes the compressor to cycle attempting to re-inflate the bags. It's never killed my battery, just makes a strange sound occasionally.
Go back to where you had them installed and have them switch your power source to an ignition switched source so you will never get a dead battery from your air bags inflating. You also want to have them check the air line fittings. They should NOT leak when it gets cold. One of the most common mistakes I see when people install the air bags is that they don't cut the lines correctly. Also after installing the lines they need to be pulled on slightly to seat the lines in the seals. Skipping this simple procedure will cause them to leak. Cutting of the lines is detailed in the instructions but seating the lines is not.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM
x2 on seating the lines

Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Suspended
Yes, It's gotten down to -10 oC, here, lately. I have not lost more then a few PSI at most - This is stated in the manual, that on average they will loose 3-4PSI/Month.

I've only filled mine up once, when they were installed, haven't touched them since.

Quick Reply: AirLift Ride Control Bags