Towing & Hauling

Trailer Hook Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Hook Up

I need help for my trip to AR. I brought my F 150 new with a towing package. The factory trans cooler and the reciever hitch. My hitch has the flat 4 pin connector and the round 7 pin connector. I have used the 4 pin connector but when I got ready to use the 7 pin outlet it was dead!

Well there is a relay and a pig tail connector in my glove box that I guess is used for the 7 pin connector. I've seen it all of these years and didn't know what it was. Why didn't the dealer hook this up??

Is it any one out there that knows how to wire up the pig tail? The relay is simple to plug into the fuse box. The part # on the bag is:4L3T-15A416-AB
Please help as soon as you can. Thanks.
Dex

Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The pig tail would wire up to a brake controller if the trailer you are towing has electric brakes. You need to get your own brake controller too.

Otherwise, the 7 pin should work the lights and turn signals, etc. as the flat 4?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Relay has to be put in for the brake controller to work too...i put in my new Tekonsha P3 today

Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks alot. I don't need brakes right now. I got an adapter from U-Haul that they said I could get 12v from the 7 pin plug. Well I guess I still can't use the adapter unless I wire up the pigtail. I think I'll check the dealer for instructions. Thanks again for all of the responses.
Dex

Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Where ya headed to in arkansas?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 AM
???? The relay(s) are for the 12v charge pin to the 7 pin and I think there is another one for the reverse light pin.

There is a big *** 30 amp fuse for the brake controller. The running lights and turn signals use individual (smaller) fuses as well.

What is not working on the 7 pin? What "adapter" is it that you got from U-Haul?

The only thing you need the pig tail for is the brake controller that gets plugged in under the dash and that's all it powers.

Mitch

Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Mudkickin I went to North Little Rock to pick up a car.
Mitch, the adapter was supposed to get 12v from the 7 pin plug. It was a 2 wire adapter. I didn't use it because I couldn't get power but, then I figured it was best anyway because I was going to power that little winch I got from HF. The UHaul dealer said that the wires would carry it but I had my doubts. Anyway I just got a battery and sat down by the winch.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Stupid question, but do you have the engine running or at least the key in the "ON" position? That's the only way the 12v will provide power to the 7 pin. That's what the relay does so that it won't drain your battery if you shut down and still have your trailer hooked up..

Where does this U-Haul 12v adapter attach to the truck?

I'm sure there is another fuse in connection to the 12v feed to the 7 pin too... Check it out with a meter and just don't look at it and think it's okay..

If everything is in place and functioning, then the 7 pin should fully function without any additional 'adapters'.

I don't know the reason the dealer does not plug everything in when the truck is new as that would seem to be a part of the whole 'dealer prep' process, but maybe it's just because they want the new owner to come back and say "hey, my 7 pin isn't working and what is this bag of stuff in the glove box for?" Then they charge you $85 (or whatever the going shop rate is) to plug it all in!

Have you used a test light on the pins to check for continuity?

As I said, if you have ALL the fuses and relays in place, it should just work!

That's the way it was on my '97.. All the relays and fuses were already in place when I got the truck used, but it's all worked since day one and I've never had to replace a single thing and I've been towing for over 8 years..

Mitch

Quick Reply: Trailer Hook Up