Towing & Hauling

Tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow mirrors

I have looked all around this sight for this answer but haven't found one.
I want to change the mirrors on my truck to towing mirrors with heated and signals in them. My mirrors right now don't have heat or signals.

My question is! Is my truck pre-wired for heat/signal mirrors so I can just plug in the new mirrors and the heat/signals will work or will I have to wire up everything?

I asked the dealer but all they could tell me is I need to get into the wiring of my mirrors and test them with the heat/signal on to see if the wires are there or not. I know that sometimes they don't have the swiftest people working at the dealers, I just thought there should be a simpler way to do it. If anyone has come across this please help me!!!

2010 Ford F150 FX4

Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM
if you're truck is a 07 or newer it should have the wiring all there and just be a matter of plugging the mirrors in.
the climate control unit will need to repalced for one that has a mirror defrost unit. unless you can wire it to your regular defrost setting on the climate contrl panel

Sorry thats all i Know About it
Hubby's not home

Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 AM
if it didn't come with it (defrost mirrors) on the HVAC controls then the wires are not there. basic facts is what ever you have now is what you can get to work with the tow mirrors! unless you want to spend a lot to get the wiring all done up it would be easy to get a new harness and dash HVAC panel. oh and as long as your going to all that you might as well get the control that moves them out (telescopes) as well and dimes them its just money lol

Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I installed tow mirrors on my 2010 FX4. It had power only mirrors. I have rear window defrost and that controls the mirror heat. I can tell you from my install if you have rear window defrost it will be a plug an play. I hope that helps.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I have a 2010 FX4 that came with the standard mirrors. (see the link in my sig) I ordered and installed the heated tow mirrors with signals and they were a plug and play. Just like FXFord said, turn on the rear window defrost and they work!

Ken

Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by GTXKen
I have a 2010 FX4 that came with the standard mirrors. (see the link in my sig) I ordered and installed the heated tow mirrors with signals and they were a plug and play. Just like FXFord said, turn on the rear window defrost and they work!

Ken
wow the defrost worked with the rear defroster? and if she dont have a rear defroster then what?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM
That sounds like a good enough reason to buy a new truck. LOL

Quick Reply: Tow mirrors