Towing & Hauling

Need location of brake interface on 94 f150

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need location of brake interface on 94 f150

I am trying to outfit a trailer with electric brakes before friday and have the controller on order again after it was sent to the wrong store, then shipped to correct store with wrong wire harness for the controller.

ordering from another company now that knows what they are doing, which should hae it to me by wed. and give a day to tinker with it and get it installed right and test the new brakes.

but the problem is that i do not know the location of the brake wire harness which I need to plug in the controller to.

does anyone have a photo of the cable and location or a quick description of where it is?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
All truck post 1997 are pre-wired for electric brake controller.

Pre-1997 truck could go either way or just partially.

If it has the trailer brake controller harness it will be in the center of the dash at the floor board. (attached to the bottom of the dash above the floor hump)

If it ain't there you have some wiring to do. Even if it is there you may still have to wire from the cab to the back of the truck.

Good luck....

In my 1994 it was wired front to back and you only had to plug in a controller. My 1992 had a harness in the cab and it ended under the dash. I just did a 1996 that had nothing.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
There is only one plug there. It looks like the right plug and it is below the ashtray and power point and it has an open end.

Does that sound right? The one i have is a grey plastic plug and the wire is all wrapped so i cant see the color of wire.

I installed a 7 way on the truck and ran a brake line to the cab. I dont think there was one at the back and if there was i didnt see or know where to look.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by kingsnkviper
There is only one plug there. It looks like the right plug and it is below the ashtray and power point and it has an open end.

Does that sound right? The one i have is a grey plastic plug and the wire is all wrapped so i cant see the color of wire.
Thats the one

Originally Posted by kingsnkviper
I installed a 7 way on the truck and ran a brake line to the cab. I dont think there was one at the back and if there was i didnt see or know where to look.
Thanks
Pull that sleeve back on the plug in the cab. There will be a blue wire. That is the wire that needs to go to the back for the trailer brake feed. You can scotch lock into that wire with the wire you brought from the 7 way plug.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the help, I will go check it out now, when the plug comes with the controller i will hook it up and see how it works

where would the existing plug in one be if they ran it to the back of the truck?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Thats the catch... where did it get ended.
Some are in the cab, some are at the firewall, some are under the cab, some are at the rear bumper, some are under the spare; and some just can't be found.

You got to love Post 1997 trucks because they are all wired the same. Pre 97 and it is work to wire these guys.

Quick Reply: Need location of brake interface on 94 f150