Towing & Hauling

Truck cap reduce trailer wind resistance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck cap reduce trailer wind resistance?

Alright, I searched and found no answers, so here's my question...will putting a cap on the back of my 03 SCrew help decrease the wind resistance of my enclosed v-nosed trailer? I figure it might help the air around the trailer instead of dumping it on the face of it.

After towing an open trailer for years, it is amazing how mush resistance the enclosure puts out, even with a v-nose.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
From my experience, yes, without a doubt. The air flow over your cab immediately dips down toward the bed. The cap will keep the air flow high and make it easier to flow over the trailer.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Just make sure it's a lightweight cap so you don't go exceeding the payload rating of the truck.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Just make sure it's a lightweight cap so you don't go exceeding the payload rating of the truck.
Yeah, isn't that the truth. Looks like you have you been paying close attention to my payload/tongue weight posts, glc.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Cool, thanks guys.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Chewey
Alright, I searched and found no answers, so here's my question...will putting a cap on the back of my 03 SCrew help decrease the wind resistance of my enclosed v-nosed trailer? I figure it might help the air around the trailer instead of dumping it on the face of it.

After towing an open trailer for years, it is amazing how mush resistance the enclosure puts out, even with a v-nose.
on top of cap, you can get an air deflector from yakima to shoot the air even higher.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chewey

Either that, or you could just slow down.

Wind resistance increases as the square of the speed.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done about the vacuum created directly behind the vertical trailing face of the enclosure. The drag from that alone is significant - and also increases with speed.

IMHO - slow down, save $$$ (no cap, less fuel) and keep yer payload rating intact.

Gotta love a *free* solution with an ROI.

MGD

Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$1000 for a cap sure will take a long time to recover that in fuel. Buy a cap because you want that space covered, not to save fuel costs.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM
I found a cap used for cheap on CL and it weighs about 200 lbs. I noticed an MPG increase right away of about 2 while towing my trailer. I got the canopy for keeping camping gear dry/

Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by APT
$1000 for a cap sure will take a long time to recover that in fuel. Buy a cap because you want that space covered, not to save fuel costs.
Thats what i was thinking.

Quick Reply: Truck cap reduce trailer wind resistance?