Towing & Hauling

Trying to figure out how much truck I need, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If it means anything, when I travel cross country I notice what people are towing with what. The vast majority of people who tow big TT's are using 1 ton duallies with diesels.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In half ton trucks, F150 all the way, but if your going to go with a diesel and to tow, CHEVY... i hate to say it, but my dad has one and it is a Bad*** towing machine a lot of his friends have f250s and 350s and they have had ALOT more trouble with their truck in general don't get me wrong they are both awesome but after experiencing both, id definitely go with the Chevy

Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
glc
I betcha his friends all have 6.0's..........

Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
And I'd bet ya that they're all lifted (he's in SoCal).

Kerrough, I'm wondering WHY you'd want to live in a trailer. A full service campground is going to be $40+ a night. A two bedroom apartment is like $600-800 a month, and is actually designed for somebody to live in full time. Trailers aren't. Have you ever been in a travel trailer? I think they're uncomfortable as crap.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I too am looking at living in a travel trailer after my corporate housing benefit runs out in a few months.

My research shows that I can get into a brand new $30,000 travel trailer (pretty common price point, if not slightly on the high side) financed for 10 years at 6% interest for about $330/month. The camp grounds I have looked at in the Houston area run between $200-$600 per month, and often time include wifi access and/or satellite/cable access. Figure about $100 month (on the high side) for insurance, and I'm looking at spending $630-$1030 per month for lodging AND ownership (...can you say tax deduction? ) instead of paying $800-$1600 per month for an apartment that I would be LOCKED into for the agreed upon time interval. So financially, it is a very viable alternative to renting.

I'm looking at getting the biggest trailer I can within the limits of my 2010 4x2 5.4L SCrew (tow package, TBC, and will likely add-a-leaf and programmer), but I'm not against upgrading to a 2011 Econoboost or a F-250 (prefer gas over diesel due to new urea regulations, maintenance costs, & fuel costs) if I can't find the right trailer in my current size range (< 35', < 8,000lbs dry). I'd be looking at towing on weekends fairly randomly either from the campground to Galveston, or back home to/from Amarillo (600 miles northwest with an elevation change of approx. 3400 ft).

So for those towing larger travel trailers with an F-150, am I in the right size range or setting myself up for issues later? The trailer that's leading the way right now is Forest River Wildwood 372REDS

Last edited by heybeermantx; 01-31-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
That trailer will be pushing any F-150 around. For a once a year tow to the campground and back, a F-150 will do. For anything more, F-250.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by heybeermantx
I too am looking at living in a travel trailer after my corporate housing benefit runs out in a few months.
Forest River Wildwood 372REDS
ok i dont want to rain on your party. but did you notice the tongue weaght? or the GW of the trailer both are pushing the envelope of your truck. now i am not saying that it wont pull it. but i would look for a littler trailer and not be so close to the max limits of the truck but thats me.
remember the only reason ford can pull the 11300 pounds is that thats what the brakes can stop safely!
good luck and hope you get what you need.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 PM
glc
8000# dry is Super Duty territory, you need the stronger frame, chassis, and driveline. No problem with the 6.2 gas engine. If you get a Super Duty, you might as well get the trailer that you like, go for a 5th wheel.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes, I am aware those numbers are right at the limit, and yes, I'm aware that doing regular towing with this setup would not be a good thing......and yes, I'd rather have a 5th wheel.

But I'm also trying to find a trailer that won't force me into a F-250 for the amount of pulling it I would be doing, that I can also live in.....that's turing out to be tougher than I thought it would be.....

Any other advice for a new travel trailer dweller?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Borrow F250 or larger. Pay someone to tow it to campground. Make a new friend with a truck etc. Just saying.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM

ya remember just becuse your boxers and tank top cover all your body parts. doesn't mean you can go out side and talk to the girl scout's in them!

oh never leave the ridding mower running & in gear and get off to check your mail to see if beer of the month club has arrived! lol

Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
I would definitely rather live in a travel trailer over an apartment any day. I understand some aspects of it may not be as comfortable but it would definitely be better to have your own space, especially one that you can take with you if you move. You can usually get a RV site at an extended stay rate (not at a RV resort) for around half the price of a decent apartment, which will include water/sewer/electricity. This could save you a good bit of money every month as long as the trailer you live in is paid for. Just make sure you get one that uses electricity for the stove/furnace because propane can get expensive, especially if you live in a colder climate.

For the record there are plenty of 27'+ trailers that are half-ton friendly.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM

My research shows that I can get into a brand new $30,000 travel trailer (pretty common price point, if not slightly on the high side) financed for 10 years at 6% interest for about $330/month. The camp grounds I have looked at in the Houston area run between $200-$600 per month, and often time include wifi access and/or satellite/cable access. Figure about $100 month (on the high side) for insurance, and I'm looking at spending $630-$1030 per month for lodging AND ownership (...can you say tax deduction? ) instead of paying $800-$1600 per month for an apartment that I would be LOCKED into for the agreed upon time interval. So financially, it is a very viable alternative to renting.

I'm looking at getting the biggest trailer I can within the limits of my 2010 4x2 5.4L SCrew (tow package, TBC, and will likely add-a-leaf and programmer), but I'm not against upgrading to a 2011 Econoboost or a F-250 (prefer gas over diesel due to new urea regulations, maintenance costs, & fuel costs) if I can't find the right trailer in my current size range (< 35', < 8,000lbs dry). I'd be looking at towing on weekends fairly randomly either from the campground to Galveston, or back home to/from Amarillo (600 miles northwest with an elevation change of approx. 3400 ft).

So for those towing larger travel trailers with an F-150, am I in the right size range or setting myself up for issues later? The trailer that's leading the way right now is Forest River Wildwood 372REDS

wow! That's quite a porker in that video.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes, I am aware those numbers are right at the limit, and yes, I'm aware that doing regular towing with this setup would not be a good thing......and yes, I'd rather have a 5th wheel.

But I'm also trying to find a trailer that won't force me into a F-250 for the amount of pulling it I would be doing, that I can also live in.....that's turing out to be tougher than I thought it would be.....

If you just need the truck to move the trailer why not just rent (or borrow) a F250 for a day?

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out how much truck I need, can anyone help?