Towing & Hauling

2004 FX4 towing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone point me in a direction of a good WD hitch?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reese is good. Don't really need sway control for that size of TT, but would not hurt. One of these is good.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Adventurer RV has a great deal on a 1000lb EAZlift WD hitch right now, comes with everything including sway control.
http://www.adventurerv.net/eazlift-w...l-p-13631.html

Technically you want a weight distribution hitch with numbers that match tongue weight. 1000lb tongue weight means get a 1000lb hitch. However they are adjustable so going slightly heavier isn't going to hurt anything. You adjust the hitch with the truck and trailer together. My mom uses this hitch on her 25' Arctic Fox camping trailer behind her 03 Expedition, it works great. I've pulled that setup around Oregon in the mountain passes and everything with no problems. She also uses a prodigy brake controller.

Assuming the truck is stock (does not have bigger tires) it will tow it okay. You will probably want to lock out overdrive to prevent excessive shifting. And anything to measure transmission temp is a good idea. What part of the country are you towing in?

Last edited by brianjwilson; 01-27-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
Adventurer RV has a great deal on a 1000lb EAZlift WD hitch right now, comes with everything including sway control.
http://www.adventurerv.net/eazlift-w...l-p-13631.html

Technically you would a weight distribution hitch with numbers that match tongue weight. 1000lb tongue weight means get a 1000lb hitch. However they are adjustable so going slightly heavier isn't going to hurt anything. You adjust the hitch with the truck and trailer together. My mom uses this hitch on her 25' Arctic Fox camping trailer behind her 03 Expedition, it works great. I've pulled that setup around Oregon in the mountain passes and everything with no problems. She also uses a prodigy brake controller.

Assuming the truck is stock (does not have bigger tires) it will tow it okay. You will probably want to lock out overdrive to prevent excessive shifting. And anything to measure transmission temp is a good idea. What part of the country are you towing in?
I live in rhode island and will tow up to New England Dragway in New Hampshire. There aren't many hills from my house to there i'd be worried about.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by 04Screw5.4
Can someone point me in a direction of a good WD hitch?
The best on the market IMHO

Blue Ox Sway Pro

I got lucky and found 1 like new 15 minutes from my home on craigslist for a 3rd of the cost.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Check amazon.com if u can't find anything on Craigslist in your area. They have entry level on up. As long as the tongue weight limit is above what your trailers is it will help significantly.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Hello. I pull a 30 ft. Camper, pulls it great, handles great, but I know its back there . Once ya get up to speed its great. Have the Equalizer Tow Hitch,,levels the truck out great. Have Fun...

Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll know that the loaded trailer is back there. A weight distributing hitch is a smart thing to do. I use a 1000 lb. w.d. hitch and it works great with our 26' camper. It weighs about 7200 lbs. when fully loaded.

Also, you will need a quality brake controller. I use the Prodigy controller. Beyond that, if you don't do much towing you should be good.

If you find yourself towing more, your may want to consider towing mirrors if your trailer is wider than your truck and LT rated tires.

Quick Reply: 2004 FX4 towing question