Towing & Hauling

questions about towing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about towing mirrors

hey fellas,
I have a 04 screw and i have the normal factory mirrors and would like to upgrade to towing mirrors. I kinda would like to know how much farther they stick out compared to the stock ones? and where the best place to get them is?
thanks Jared

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember someone did all the measurements. It was in one of the big tow mirror threads. I'll see if I can find it.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 AM
Found it.

Originally Posted by labman1014
i finally measured for those who wanted measurements.......normal driving, they are 17" from the glass, extended fully to 20.5", and folded they are 7" from the glass.....hope this helps.....later

Not sure on the stock measurments. But I think they stick out 13"? I would measure yourself to be sure.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:17 AM
whats 4" maybe you'll have to fold them in when parking on a busy street / garage.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
thanks that helps out i wasnt to worried how much farther they stuck out than stock but it was definately good to know. Did you know where by chance its the cheapest because I dont want to spend like 350 bucks for the defrosting/turn signal ones when i dont need those.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by blkstallion
thanks that helps out i wasnt to worried how much farther they stuck out than stock but it was definately good to know. Did you know where by chance its the cheapest because I dont want to spend like 350 bucks for the defrosting/turn signal ones when i dont need those.
You should say something in the **All OEM Ford Parts at 10% over Cost thread..

Josh quoted me with this

Power, Heat, Signal & Puddle Lamp-Black
(RH) 7L3Z-17682-AE - $134.75
(LH) 7L3Z-17683-AE - $134.75
Shipping $40.50
Total $310.00 Shipped for the Tow Mirrors Alone

Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanks12
You should say something in the **All OEM Ford Parts at 10% over Cost thread..

Josh quoted me with this
No, send Josh an e-mail and don't forget to include your VIN and all the rest of your info that he needs.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by blkstallion
hey fellas,
I have a 04 screw and i have the normal factory mirrors and would like to upgrade to towing mirrors. I kinda would like to know how much farther they stick out compared to the stock ones? and where the best place to get them is?
thanks Jared
You can save yourself a LOT of time and money and retain the better looking standard mirror by using mirror extensions. I've used these for years and I find them to be excellent for towing my travel trailer.

http://www.truckspecialties.com/mirror_extensions.htm

Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hematite
You can save yourself a LOT of time and money and retain the better looking standard mirror by using mirror extensions. I've used these for years and I find them to be excellent for towing my travel trailer.

Yeah, I mean you can... But it just doesn't look near as good as the OEM tow mirrors!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Shanks12
Yeah, I mean you can... But it just doesn't look near as good as the OEM tow mirrors!
yea i that would save a lot of money but i think the oem are bomb as hell looking. Ill just shoot josh an email and see what i can do thanks for the help!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hematite

I'm probably going to order those as well. What's your experience with them? I have the **** Universal mirrors, but they need to be tightened and adjusted every so often because they like to walk down the mirror. I'd like to get the slide on mirrors. Plus the slide on mirrors look easier to install.

I heard the slide on mirrors vibrate badly though and I can't deal with that. What's your experience??

For $70, that's a bargain.

I thought about getting the factory mirrors but I have reservations mainly because they'll cost between $400 and $500 to install, not worth it to me for sure. Then they stick out pretty far when not extended. This is a pain for drive up windows and ATMs. This is my daily driver so it's has to work good for every situation, not just towing.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
APT
I love the custom fit **** mirrors for my 2003. Amazon has the ones for your truck for $50 free shipping.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by APT
I love the custom fit **** mirrors for my 2003. Amazon has the ones for your truck for $50 free shipping.
Thanks, I'll be getting the custom mirrors. I've been wanting these custom mirrors for a while but they didn't make them for my Nissan Xterra, Pathfinder, or Titan, and neither for the 2008 Ford Sport Trac.

I like how they look factory when they're on and how easy they slip on. I won't have to worry about readjusting the tow mirrors after I put them on like I have to with all others since they can only install in one position and easy at that!

I've had the **** Clip on mirror which was really junk. Rubber straps break and they vibrate so much it's all a blur. Okay for a Pop Up, but not a longer travel trailer.

Also had the Tow-N-See Convex mirrors. They leave everything in the mirrors small so they work best with short Pop Ups. Actually work good with Pop Ups, better than most. HOWEVER with the Travel Trailer, I had a hard time passing since all the cars in them were so small to see. Couldn't use the standard/none convex mirror as the Tow-N-See mirror glass is just to small, leaving only a small area visible in them. Couldn't use the truck's original mirrors because they block the original mirror plus demand the original be adjusted for the tow mirrors to work. This leaves the original mirrors out of adjustment to see anything.

The **** Universals work the best but after some mileage, they tend to walk down the mirror and need readjusting. They are also more work installing them, then adjusting the tow mirrors.

So I'm excited about the **** Custom Mirrors.

I didn't want McKesh Mirrors (which are the most popular on the RV Forums) because there is the 'potential' for the straps to scratch the paint and if the mirrors are hit, they are not break aways, so they could dent the door.

Thanks

Last edited by Mike Up; 02-21-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM
I had the **** mirrors on my 2010 F150 and just upgraded to Ford OEM tow mirrors from Tesca, all I can say WOW what a difference. No more blind spots, I can see my back wheels. Should have done this mod a long time ago.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by TUX150
I had the **** mirrors on my 2010 F150 and just upgraded to Ford OEM tow mirrors from Tesca, all I can say WOW what a difference. No more blind spots, I can see my back wheels. Should have done this mod a long time ago.
What **** mirrors are you referring to?? You can put a small round or square stick on, convex mirror in the corner of any mirror so you don't have any blind spots.

Quick Reply: questions about towing mirrors