Towing & Hauling

Brake controller problums

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake controller problums

Need some help folks I have a 97 f150 I purchased this truck second hand. The previouse owner removed the 7 way plug. I decided to install a brake box and attempted to install a 6 way plug since all my trailers have 6 way plugs. All lights work turn brake and running lights however my controller is showing OL when I first hooked it up all was fine I did have to replace the 20amp fuse under the hood to get my lights to work. The brakes on the trailer I was using as a test when hooked up are being applied with out pushing the break in the truck I changed the blue and white wire no change. I am positive there is no issue with the trailer since we pull it weekly with 2 other trucks and ideas or help would be very much apreciated
Thanks
Tim

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by TWDITMORE
Need some help folks I have a 97 f150 I purchased this truck second hand. The previouse owner removed the 7 way plug. I decided to install a brake box and attempted to install a 6 way plug since all my trailers have 6 way plugs. All lights work turn brake and running lights however my controller is showing OL when I first hooked it up all was fine I did have to replace the 20amp fuse under the hood to get my lights to work. The brakes on the trailer I was using as a test when hooked up are being applied with out pushing the break in the truck I changed the blue and white wire no change. I am positive there is no issue with the trailer since we pull it weekly with 2 other trucks and ideas or help would be very much apreciated
Thanks
Tim
Tim,
There are 2 major wiring patterns for the 6 pin plug. Have the wrong one and your trailer brakes will be locked up. Looking at the truck plug the pin in the 9 o'clock position and the center position need to be switched. These two locations are aux battery charge and trailer brake control feed.
Orange- Aux battery charge
Blue- Trailer brake control feed
Again looking at the truck plug:
3 o'clock position-- white wire/Ground
5 o'clock position-- yellow wire/left turn-brake light
7 o'clock position-- green wire/right turn-brake light
noon position-- brown with white trace/running-marker lights

This is the main reason that in 1997 manufacturers standardized wiring and went to the 7 pin RV plug. Only one way to wire it right... no alternatives.

I highly recommend upgrading your trailers to this century and get into the 7 pin plug so this will never happen again. Also in the future when you buy another truck it will also work with yours and everyone else's trailers.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 02-15-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 PM
I am pretty sure that I did not hook the orange wire up correctly.
That would be changing 4 trucks to 7 pin and 3 trailers I think I will stick with 6 pin for now Man thanks for the info.
Tim

Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Tim,
There are 12 major wiring patterns for the 6 pin plug. Have the wrong one and your trailer brakes will be locked up. Looking at the truck plug the pin in the 9 o'clock position and the center position need to be switched. These two locations are aux battery charge and trailer brake control feed.
Orange- Aux battery charge
Blue- Trailer brake control feed
Again looking at the truck plug:
3 o'clock position-- white wire/Ground
5 o'clock position-- yellow wire/left turn-brake light
7 o'clock position-- green wire/right turn-brake light
noon position-- brown with white trace/running-marker lights

This is the main reason that in 1997 manufacturers standardized wiring and went to the 7 pin RV plug. Only one way to wire it right... no alternatives.

I highly recommend upgrading your trailers to this century and get into the 7 pin plug so this will never happen again. Also in the future when you buy another truck it will also work with yours and everyone else's trailers.

Quick Reply: Brake controller problums