Towing & Hauling

7 pin and controller yes i searched colorado osprey

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 pin and controller yes i searched colorado osprey

Okay, 2004 f15- heritage 4.2 v6 manual, installed a 7 pin/4 flat combo and a hopkins brake controller, and hope someone can verify my wiring. (Yes, I know you can buy the plug and play, but I spliced stuff).

So, I traced the existing 4 flat back to the connector in the frame rail by the spare tire. I grounded the 7 pin white wire where the existing white wire grounds to the frame rail by the spare tire.

I connected the 7 pin blue to the existing blue wire (12 g) at the frame rail connector.
7 pin black went to the existing orange wire (12 g) at the frame rail connector.
7 pin purple (aux, reverse or something) didn't go to anything.

On the trailer brake controller I went (from controller to truck) white to white, blue to blue, black to red, and red to green.

So is this correct? Cause my brake controller won't power on. (Not sure if thats because I miswired something or because its a pos).

I'm picking up a travel trailer here shortly, so I need to get his situation corrected. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ford Heritage; 02-13-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ford Heritage
Okay, 2004 f15- heritage 4.2 v6 manual, installed a 7 pin/4 flat combo and a hopkins brake controller, and hope someone can verify my wiring. (Yes, I know you can buy the plug and play, but I spliced stuff).

So, I traced the existing 4 flat back to the connector in the frame rail by the spare tire. I grounded the 7 pin white wire where the existing white wire grounds to the frame rail by the spare tire.

I connected the 7 pin blue to the existing blue wire (12 g) at the frame rail connector.
7 pin black went to the existing orange wire (12 g) at the frame rail connector.
7 pin purple (aux, reverse or something) didn't go to anything.

On the trailer brake controller I went (from controller to truck) white to white, blue to blue, black to red, and red to green.

So is this correct? Cause my brake controller won't power on. (Not sure if thats because I miswired something or because its a pos).

I'm picking up a travel trailer here shortly, so I need to get his situation corrected. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you did it right.. That purple wire goes to the brown with a green trace for reverse lights.
Check fuses and relays for the trailer brake controller... You'll probably find they weren't installed.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Ask and you shall receive...thanks.

By the way because they are difficult to find, and because Ford tries to hide them, here are the relay part numbers you can give to autozone R3146 and 35928.

Also, and I just want to throw this tip out there, if you cut off the factory brake controller and haven't yet disconnected the battery, you will likely blow the 30 amp female fuse under the hood.

Quick Reply: 7 pin and controller yes i searched colorado osprey