Towing & Hauling

Hauling my CBR 1000

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hauling my CBR 1000

I've searched and read a few hauling motorcycle posts... But I didn't see one that particularly pertained to my question...

If I haul by bed, I don't have to take overdrive off do I? If I haul by trailer I'll have to take it off due to the added weight of the trailer and the bike, correct?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I'll give you a bit of info on overdrive. Overdrive is just another word for 4th gear. (in the case of the 4 speed autos) It is the highest gear available, and thereby gives you the lowest torque output.

If you are doing something with your truck that requires more power than the engine can provide in overdrive, it will shift down. By shifting down, the engine spins faster relative to tire rotation. More engine RPM's means more explosions per revolution of the wheels. This translates into more power.

If you are pulling a large camper, (for example) in overdrive with the cruise on and you get to some hills, the truck probably won't be able to maintain the same speed without shifting out of overdrive into a lower gear. This is normal, and fine, but if you are going up and down hills over and over, there's no reason to let the transmission shift back and forth all day. This constant shifting produces a lot of heat, and wears the transmission out.

So, if you are doing something to make it shift back and forth alot, its a good time to turn overdrive off.

Ok, here comes the technical part...
Some trucks (when encountering increasing loads) will unlock the torque converter to help give you a boost of power when pulling hills or heavy loads. (rather than shift to a lower gear) This is fine for a little while, (like climbing a hill) but constant operation with the torque converter unlocked produces a lot of heat. This would be another good situation to disable overdrive.

So, in conclusion, The bike in your bed weighs maybe 500 lbs? That's about the same as 2 men. Definately not worth turning overdrive off. But if you get into a lot of steep hills with the cruise control set on 45mph, then it would probably help to turn o/d off even if you don't have any cargo. Same applies to pulling a trailer. I pull a large gooseneck horse trailer 80+ mph with "the dually" with o/d ON I set the cruise and let the trans do its job.

Just some info...My 97 5.4 f150 wouldn't operate in overdrive without the tq converter locked, so I never had to worry about that last scenario. My V10 dually always locks in o/d too. My wife's 4.6L 2006 f150 will unlock in o/d.

Last edited by chester8420; 03-06-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Leave it on OD and drive.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
^^^ I agree. The only reason you would need to take it out of O/D is if it is haveing to downshift a lot. But hauling a bike won't be any problems.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Bottom line - if the torque converter keeps unlocking, take it out of OD.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok, that helped out a lot... Thats nice to know I don't have to take it off every time I haul or pull something.

Thanks for the info it was helpful as all get out!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 PM
When I had my 4.6 F-150, I can count the number of times I locked out O/D while towing, and I towed lots with that truck. Once was while towing very heavy, the rest was while towing my boat in the Ozark mountains, just because it kept gear hunting. Other than that, never locked it out.

I've never once locked out OD in my F-250.

Quick Reply: Hauling my CBR 1000